Worsening insurance crisis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At some point do we just go back to a "If you die it sucks to be you" model, because i am really not interested in living in a safe world. :(

For the last 2 years, I bring my DAN med form in when I get my annual and have the doc sign off. Is this the usual way for most divers? Are there other concerns that we need to be aware of or find a DAN doctor to sign off?
That's what I do as well. But in the past 6 years since I started diving again, only my upcoming trip asked me for it. I've signed medical release, but none have asked for the form from my doctor.

That's what I do as well. But in the past 6 years since I started diving again, only my upcoming trip asked me for it. I've signed medical release, but none have asked for the form from my doctor.
It depends on where you go. Some operators want the actual form, and if your answers need a signature then you need to get the signature.

Why should it? Even Subfiend can't protect you from negligent acts.
Is there a point in forming a single member LLC for a dive pro, then? It's not prohibitively expensive to do so, but it still costs money. Then, in order to maintain the corporate veil you have to be very careful about not co-mingling business and personal expenses. That means opening an LLC bank account and possibly getting a credit card for your single member LLC, keeping a separate ledger for all dive pro-related revenue and expenses, etc. There might be some worth to this for taxation purposes, depending on a pro's revenue. But since even a properly run single member LLC won't protect a dive pro's personal assets from a liability claim in a case of negligence, what's the point of all the extra work? Seems like it's just an added expense and hassle for no real protection.

Is there a point in forming a single member LLC for a dive pro, then? It's not prohibitively expensive to do so, but it still costs money. Then, in order to maintain the corporate veil you have to be very careful about not co-mingling business and personal expenses. That means opening an LLC bank account and possibly getting a credit card for your single member LLC, keeping a separate ledger for all dive pro-related revenue and expenses, etc. There might be some worth to this for taxation purposes, depending on a pro's revenue. But since even a properly run single member LLC won't protect a dive pro's personal assets from a liability claim in a case of negligence, what's the point of all the extra work? Seems like it's just an added expense and hassle for no real protection.
My LLC cost $100 to set up, and $50/year to maintain. It is well worth it for the Schedule C tax benefits and the discounts I get from travel wholesalers. Any legal protection it might give me would be an additional benefit.

My LLC cost $100 to set up, and $50/year to maintain. It is well worth it for the Schedule C tax benefits and the discounts I get from travel wholesalers. Any legal protection it might give me would be an additional benefit.
What do travel wholesalers see in an LLC that they wouldn't see if you were doing business under the same name without the "LLC" after it? Your business can be an equally legitimate business whether you operate it as an LLC or as a sole proprietorship. But maybe travel wholesalers don't know that.

Gotcha. For tax purposes it might make sense depending on a dive pro’s situation.

Back
Top Bottom