Worried about Japan's radiation in Pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were planning a dive trip to the Philippines soon and now have put that on hold to see what happens.
I'm on my way to the Philippines tonight. I'm not worried. For those of us living in Asia, there is a moratorium on certain food coming from Japan, including sushi fish, vegetables and fruits, etc. That level of precaution seem reasonable to keep the public calm, though it's probably overblown to some extent. I'm not the least bit concerned about the levels of radiation in sea water in Subic Bay, though.

I'm on my way to the Philippines tonight. I'm not worried. For those of us living in Asia, there is a moratorium on certain food coming from Japan, including sushi fish, vegetables and fruits, etc. That level of precaution seem reasonable to keep the public calm, though it's probably overblown to some extent. I'm not the least bit concerned about the levels of radiation in sea water in Subic Bay, though.
If you see any two-headed fish, please let me know. I have an open ticket to NYC just in case. :wink:

I fully support building more nuclear reactors in this country. It's either that or more coal fired plants and folks seem to want that even less. Wind and solar will never be the answer in our lifetimes. I hope more power companies will start adding more nuclear ASAP.

I don't support the building of any new nuclear plants until the citizens of the US resolve the waste storage and site reclamation issues.

Improperly storing waste on site and clean up of decommissioned sites needs to be addressed first.

Want clean energy? Let's discuss more hydro.

I know it's a big body of water and it will disperse eventually, but what about the safety of our diving in those waters nearby? We were planning a dive trip to the Philippines

Fukushima is in Japan, not in the Philippines.

And it's a power plant, not the Amazon river. What little pollution there is, strong even, will fade in the ocean. No big white cloud coming your way. The radiation levels are now 100 000 (?) fold. They used to be around ... 0 ? ... before. The situation is bad of course, locally, nationally even, but it's a Japanese issue.

Of course a city or two were also wiped out to the sea, but that's minor.
There's a small leak in a power plant.

Just don't swim in Fukushima without a drysuit and full face mask. Alpha and beta radiation will stop at your clothing/skin surface unless you drink the water. It's a bit like sunbathing in very strong sun light. You'll get burnt. A little doesn't harm you, but too much on unprotected skin causes skin cancer. That's the reason for the white protection suits. It's just "shade". That's also the reason why drinking water is not recommended for small children. One gets slight amounts of sun bathing inside oneself, and that is unhealthy. But then again... amounts are important. And children may be more sensitive. You wouldn't drink water from the reactor, but you could drink just slightly radiating water. Just like you can eat a bit of salt, but a spoonfull or two might kill you.

Gamma radiation penetrates deeper, but enough water stops it too. It fades out like a flashlights beam. It's even the same thing, just invisible (like UV or heat radiation or radio) and plenty more powerfull.

And this radioactive iodine that causes the trouble halves in amount pretty quickly.

I would guess that getting drunk once makes more destruction in your body.
Burnt fat in food causes cancer. And sun bathing does too.

So avoid sunbathing, fast food and alcoholic beverages and you'll be fine.

ps. your sandwitch contains a bit of radioactive carbon-14 :eyebrow:

There are issues though. Uranium mining can pollute conventionally. Toxic waste has creative uses in politics. Waste management is expensive. Local and regional disasters are possible... I was just addressing the risks of diving.

I don't support the building of any new nuclear plants until the citizens of the US resolve the waste storage and site reclamation issues.

Improperly storing waste on site and clean up of decommissioned sites needs to be addressed first.

Want clean energy? Let's discuss more hydro.

I completely agree on reclaiming. We need to reuse spent uranium, you can get like 99 percent back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom