Worried about Japan's radiation in Pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were April 1st this would be an excellent post. :rofl3:
So if you believe otherwise, please explain your reasoning why solar is not a viable alternative?

Unless of course you work for a company that is up against solar and wind power generation, then it would all make sense.

I have no problem with alternative energy sources, however there are two major problems that have yet to be solved.

A) The ability to create power on a GLOBAL level.
B) What will creating power on a GLOBAL level do to the environment.

Even green energy is not "free", the power is coming from somewhere; waves, sunlight, wind. If we start harvesting any of these on a large scale how will the climate be affected? Will wind patterns be altered?

The French did a study on Tidal energy and found that if energy was harvested from the tides on a global level that the earth's rotation could be slowed by 24 hours over 2000 years.

So if you believe otherwise, please explain your reasoning why solar is not a viable alternative?

For the simple reason that 60% of all power being consumed in the US is needed 24 hours a day. Use peaks a little during the day and drops a little at night but not as much as folks would think.

Residential use accounts for about 37% of the power consumed, commercial is about 37%, industrial is about 25% and transport is < 1%.

So what happens at night when the sun goes down if you use solar. Nothing. Nada. No power being generated at all. So where is all the power going to come from to supply that 60% base load demanded by the above users? Does anyone really think batteries could store so much power and they could supply the 60% demand needed 24 hours a day? Impossible.

Solar is great for heating your swimming pool and maybe some hot water for your home but anyone who thinks solar or wind for that matter will ever be a major player in power generation really don't understand the dynamics involved.

So what happens at night when the sun goes down if you use solar. Nothing. Nada. No power being generated at all. So where is all the power going to come from to supply that 60% base load demanded by the above users? Does anyone really think batteries could store so much power and they could supply the 60% demand needed 24 hours a day? Impossible.

Solar is great for heating your swimming pool and maybe some hot water for your home but anyone who thinks solar or wind for that matter will ever be a major player in power generation really don't understand the dynamics involved.[/
QUOTE]

Actually, I think some of us do. A number of the solar systems being planned and funded on a commercial scale right now use "heat sink" technology in which a super dense material (synthetic oils and supersaline solutions) are heated by solar energy by day and stored for night time use. These materials are used to transfer heat to volatile fluids that are vaporized to power generators, then condensed back into liquids for reuse. These systems are clean, elegant and address the problem of nocturnal energy production.
I think "the dynamics involved" are well understood by more engineers and scientists than you think. Without any shred of wanting to sound insulting, might I suggest perhaps you might not be fully aware of the technology currently available?

That is a better explanation. Except you just stated yourself that a large portion of energy is used during the day, which is also why power costs the most during peak hours. We having rolling blackouts during the day not at night. Therefore in your own words solar still can have a very large place in today's energy needs.

In Cali for solar they are offering 100% depreciation in the first year on a commercial install. Our local electric companies also slap the higher tiers with the largest rates. Most realize a 7 year ROI with a 15% return on the investment. What else out there can give you that high of a ROI safely?? Not the stock market! Not property, not timber, not bonds...but solar can. That makes it a viable investment for homes and businesses that can help supply the worlds energy needs. Don't worry California will show North Carolina how it is done :) Of course Germany is showing us how it is done.

As to the comment of batteries, there does need to be some major enhancements for storage of electrical power. Hopefully the fuel cells become reality which will give everyone the chance to own their power.

Ann Coulter says radiation is good for you, so don't be a sissy.

That area is ****ed, I don't care what the talking heads say.

The radiation shouldnt be much of a problem. The main radioactive elements which have been dumped into the sea are:

Iodine 131 - half life of 8 days

Cesium 134 - Half life of 2.1 years

Cesium 137 - Half life of 30 years

The good news is that the amount of radioactive liquid dumped (~13,000 m3) is negligible compared to the sea. So you have nothing to worry about :p

Also, I have always been against the use of nuclear power. Eventhough it is cleaner than conventional methods in most cases, it does have catastrophic consequences when something does happen (and it does happen more frequently than we think).

I think there are several types of power generation that can replace conventional and nuclear power, such as solar, wind, tides,hydro, geothermal, biomass. All are viable options that if used together can produce the vast amounts of power needed to run the world! But let's be realistic, oil is money..and no one is gonna give up money!

PM me if you want to join my "Swim, Surf and Tan" Excursion to FukuShima.:D

We're hoping the radiation will cause mutated gills to grow so we're like the fishman in Waterworld...

Tanks? We don't need no stinking tanks!

yo

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

just a diagram thingy about radiation and what is actual

In Cali for solar they are offering 100% depreciation in the first year on a commercial install. Our local electric companies also slap the higher tiers with the largest rates. Most realize a 7 year ROI with a 15% return on the investment. What else out there can give you that high of a ROI safely?? Not the stock market! Not property, not timber, not bonds...but solar can. That makes it a viable investment for homes and businesses that can help supply the worlds energy needs. Don't worry California will show North Carolina how it is done :) Of course Germany is showing us how it is done.
That is a persuasive argument for collecting government subsidies, rather than for solar energy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom