World's First Artificial Gills Re-breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I last looked at their site a week or so ago an additional 20 plus people have signed up for the$1100 package. If you have so much money that you can put up $1100 without even a cursory investigation you probably deserve to lose your money. A simple search on the internet will quickly show that this is a scam. I am sure the blatant lies that are given in response to the questions would amount to fraud in almost any country.

Did the first set of suckers er I mean investors get ALL of their cash back? Just curious if there was a fee charged. Anyone know?

Supposedly yes, but there have been complaints from some that there were fees they had to pay both directions on the transaction. I don't know for sure, but I gathered that those were fees imposed by their financial institutions.

Supposedly yes, but there have been complaints from some that there were fees they had to pay both directions on the transaction. I don't know for sure, but I gathered that those were fees imposed by their financial institutions.

I've "invested" and received refunds on Indiegogo and other crowdfunded sites and always received a full refund with no fees charged whatsover. Perhaps this one is different? These guys do seem like scoundrels though.

Possibly related to exchange rates and fees from other currencies. In that instance you would probably be hit both ways

Possibly related to exchange rates and fees from other currencies. In that instance you would probably be hit both ways

Yes, but no benefit to DRS!

*Dirty rotten scoundrels

And the retail price of the 3 months LOX canister is ... 17.99$ ;-)
And now they say they neither invented an oxygen extracting membrane, nor any specific battery.
So they took most of the magic of the shelf. Where ? I can't guess.
But the canister is their invention ! (who exactly invented that ? Who crafted the one they are using inside the prototype ? A 3D printer ?)
I guess no international authority has approved the use of that canister ... (it's not only a DOT question guys, LOX is a dangerous thing, you could stonefreeze your hands)
By the way, I still can't think of a good reason to rather use (well ... lie about) a thick LOX canister (even if it existed in that tiny size) than a thinner 3000 PSI bottle (Spare Air is already using quite thin bottles). The same amount of oxygen would probably fit in both and it is not 5% of what you would need for a 4 x 45 minutes dive.

Last edited:
Indeed, every time they post anything with any relevant info their scam becomes more exposed.

I'm surprised no one has asked to see these magical canister they invented. A cylinder is a cylinder, I don't think any govt. would issue a utility patent on a cylinder, but you can bet they would hide behind a claim they are waiting for a patent to avoid sharing info. Although they haven't applied for a patent on anything. When directly asked what country they filled the patent, they dodged the question.

I'll also state it's pretty much a fact that Indiegogo is the crowd funding scam broker. If you want to scam someone, that's the company you use. They are well aware of what's going on here and they don't care. They should change their slogan to, "Indiegogo, Get IN with your scam, let it DIE, get the money and GO, GO!"

As I watched this mess unfold over months, I have experienced the entire spectrum of human emotion. At first I thought it was funny because it was such an obvious scam. But when I saw so many people falling for it, I became sad. Then I became angry that these foolish investors weren't listening to real experts. Then I got depressed that these hucksters were making more money designing fake dive gear then I make designing real dive gear. I think I've reached the final phase, resignation \ acceptance.

I did a little bit of snooping around and found out that this sort of thing happens on Indegogo pretty regularly. One guy was trying to collect money to go catch live dinosaurs. Another company raised a million dollars, with a fictitious device that could scan a plate of food and give you a complete chemical and nutritional breakdown of the food. I did not encounter any reports of a case where charges were pressed. It sorta looks like this whole thing is completely legal. I don't know what happens to the money when one of these campaigns fail. But even if you had to return every dime, you could still string everyone along long enough so you could invest it short term for a dividend.

So now I'm thinking to myself, "Self, I could create a way more convincing scam than these losers." I have access to all kinds of weird little pneumatic parts. I could build a much cooler looking device and create a much more convincing video. I have a background in dive gear, experience with UW video and I've written science fiction so my pseudoscience would be much more plausible than theirs. For killing blow, I'd price my magic device $50 less than theirs.

If I was a lying weasel scam artist I could make enough money to retire in just a few months. But I got to get back to work at my real job because of my personal integrity.

... stupid personal integrity...

And the retail price of the 3 months LOX canister is ... 17.99$ ;-)
And now they say they neither invented an oxygen extracting membrane, nor any specific battery.
So they took most of the magic of the shelf. Where ? I can't guess.
But the canister is their invention ! (who exactly invented that ? Who crafted the one they are using inside the prototype ? A 3D printer ?)
I guess no international authority has approved the use of that canister ... (it's not only a DOT question guys, LOX is a dangerous thing, you could stonefreeze your hands)
By the way, I still can't think of a good reason to rather use (well ... lie about) a thick LOX canister (even if it existed in that tiny size) than a thinner 3000 PSI bottle (Spare Air is already using quite thin bottles). The same amount of oxygen would probably fit in both and it is not 5% of what you would need for a 4 x 45 minutes dive.

I kind of think there would be enough LOX in a Spare Air to last 45 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom