World Cup winners ??

who will lift the World Cup in July ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

!Brasil, Brasil, Pentacampeones!

I'm predicting a victory and display of footballing prowess for the ages today........

The Japanese are going down :D :D :D

Jamdiver:
No disrespect anywhere in this thread Perrone.
US Soccer has made massive strides in the past 12 years or so since they hosted the world cup.

They were once the laughing stock of the International footballing world, now they've got a professionall football league, youth leagues churning out players each year and a media that while may not embrace football as much as I'd like, does give it some airtime.

The most positive part of all this really is the attention that will be shined on US Soccer and interest those who previously might not have given it a second look.

Rome wasn't built in a day you know :wink:.

They may have made massive strides, but Perrone is right. Kids with real ability see the million$ in US Football, Basketball, then look at soccer & say Hmmmmm.

Could you imagine Reggie Bush playing Soccer, Or Jerry Rice in his prime?

Jordan in goal... Vince Carter at striker... Jason Kidd at center mid...

If more american kids saw the compensation that players at the highest level in soccer receive.
Mainly the club level in Europe and South America, they might think more criticially as soccer as a means to fame & fortune.

Soccer is huge worldwide, I don't think living in the states one can really appreciate the global reach and draw of this sport.

They're players in England earning 20 million Pounds a year or so(about 30 million US$) in wages and other compensation for playing football.

The problem with soccer in the US is not the money and fame. It's exposure and access. There are plenty of athletic kids in the US who would LOVE to be playing at the highest levels. But they are excluded from the system. I'm IN the system, and I try to push these kids through, but many never get the shot they deserve.

Until we start making a way for these kids, we're gonna suck at the international level.

PerroneFord:
The problem with soccer in the US is not the money and fame. It's exposure and access. There are plenty of athletic kids in the US who would LOVE to be playing at the highest levels. But they are excluded from the system. I'm IN the system, and I try to push these kids through, but many never get the shot they deserve.

Until we start making a way for these kids, we're gonna suck at the international level.

I'm not at all sure it would make any difference, even if we had a way for the kids to get there -- it's a matter of respect, and we don't get it from ANYONE....not other teams, other countries or the officials. Yes, we got screwed by the officials, but it's not the first time that has happened and it won't be the last time. I've seen it at every level of football -- from the U-17s to the U-20s to the U-23s....we get screwed every tournament. I'm sorry if that sounds like sour grapes, but the truth hurts. Until we get equal respect from everyone (which we have to earn most of), football will never take off in this country. We're back to Square One once again... :116:

Respect is very easy to get in soccer. Beat good teams. And do it consistently. Look at Ghana, and the Trini's. Tiny countries compared to us. But they play hard, they play with skill, and they bring athletes. They EARNED respect. The US has earned nothing, but ran around shooting off their mouths all over the TV.

When I coach my teams we do ZERO talking. We let our game talk for us. I find that works very well for us. The US team got a heaping helping of humility, so yes, it's back to the grindstone for them. At little less time at the beach, a little less time obsessing over the model girlfriends, and a bit more time cleaning up that first touch (Beasley) or working on getting free near goal (Donovan). I've watched Reyna play for years. Still don't see what the hype is.

Jamdiver:
!Brasil, Brasil, Pentacampeones!

I'm predicting a victory and display of footballing prowess for the ages today........

The Japanese are going down :D :D :D

Yup, :D :D.

Brasil 4 -Japan 1.!!

Ronaldo has now equalled the record of most goals scored in the World Cup.

The Selecao have done it again :wink:

3499620339.jpg

446298106.jpg

4059347167.jpg

Back
Top Bottom