Working On A Frankenreg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Peeps,

So, I'm working on a FrankenReg, found a Cressi mc9 online that I think is too good a price to let go off, it comes with the pressure gauge (prolly some cheap one but this will be my backup to the back up), and the BCD LP hose already connected (check pics here below).

I'm eying a cheap XTX50 octo also that I will probably put on one of my apeks reg sets by swapping out the Apeks Egress octo out of there. The Egress will be part of my FrankenReg (this is will also probably become my travel reg, or not, we will see how things go...).

So, what else can I put on there to complete it? Am I good with that? OR should I look to complete with Cressi all the way? Is this set even feasible or should I not even bother? I've committed to buying the Cressi mc9, but nothing else for now...

Thoughts?

I'm just playing really... and waiting to see what I can find :wink: Once I have it all set up, I'll put it through a nice service and take that FrakenReg for a dive :D

no reason not to move forward, about the only thing you can't do it put on some of the Poseidon second stages, but other than that you can put whatever you want on there. The SPG looks like all of the standard Termo SPG's that are out there, wouldn't say it's a cheap one. Get whatever you can if you want to service it yourself just be careful with brands, no need to stay with Cressi. All that matters with mismatched regs is that the second stages are tuned to their specific first stages due to variations in IP and what not.

no reason not to move forward, about the only thing you can't do it put on some of the Poseidon second stages, but other than that you can put whatever you want on there. The SPG looks like all of the standard Termo SPG's that are out there, wouldn't say it's a cheap one. Get whatever you can if you want to service it yourself just be careful with brands, no need to stay with Cressi. All that matters with mismatched regs is that the second stages are tuned to their specific first stages due to variations in IP and what not.

Thanks @tbone1004 !! No I won't be servicing them myself. I will just collect them and then give them to my LDS to do their magic! I'm not saying they are cheap, I'm getting them for quite cheap :wink: 80$ (US) ish

I have dove many Frankenregs in my time. I've never been disappointed in them. Have fun.

When I first was certified, and as a broke college student, I didn't know you couldn't miss-match stuff...

DACOR 960 first (bought new)
Primary: ScubaPro 109 (garage sale for $15)
Octo: Sherwood Blizzard, replaced quickly with another ScubaPro 109 (garage sale $10)
Tabata TUSA gauge console (bought new)

I dove it like that for years.......

and lived.... :happywave:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom