Work is sending me to Oahu - Waikiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schlackerrat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be returning to Hawaii for a week starting March 1st. But this time I'll be staying at the Outrigger Reef on Waikiki Beach, and having a rental car. My plan to to do mostly shore diving. I will be traveling with one other certified diver, so we'll bubby up when diving.
I have all of my own gear, except tanks. Where would be the best location to rent tanks? Are there stores that do some kind of punch card?
I am eligible to use military sites, like the MWR outdoor recreations for each of the armed services. Would I be better off driving over to Pearl, to use those locations?
Thanks,

there's no place on pearl to get tanks, you have to eather hickham, or at one of the other bases like camp smith. the surf...maaayyy calm down on north shore...worth the gamble.

Ocean Concepts right near Pearl has pretty good prices for military folks. You go like you're going to see the Arizona (Kamehameha Highway past Hickam/Pearl, turn left on Kalaeloa), turn right toward the parking areas, but keep going... OC will be on the left. Nice folks. Map here.

Hickam has a satellite store of Island Divers Hawaii by the pool right next to the fitness center; I haven't dove with them, but they do rent tanks. Map here. They're right underneath the pool.

Sealancers is another option, but probably not be worth it for just a week. (You've got to pay a month's worth of dues, take an open-book test, and they're only open Mon-Wed-Fri evenings.) You can check them out here: Sea Lancers Diving Club.

Enjoy the island!

Thanks for the info.
Something else.......
Recently, While I was scuba diving over on Maui. I used Maui Dream Dives for tanks, I notice all of the underwater scooters that they had for rent and guided shore dives. I talked to them about them and was informed of the "Scooter" certification one can obtain.

Check it out here.

http://mauidreamsdiveco.com/instruction-certification/specialty-courses/scooter-dpv-course/

Is there any company on Oahu doing this also?

Thanks for the info.
Something else.......
Recently, While I was scuba diving over on Maui. I used Maui Dream Dives for tanks, I notice all of the underwater scooters that they had for rent and guided shore dives. I talked to them about them and was informed of the "Scooter" certification one can obtain.
Is there any company on Oahu doing this also?

Island Divers ask for Joe he does classes all the time. I just talked to him today about it.
Hawaii Scuba Diving, Scuba Diving Training with Island Divers Hawaii - Honolulu, Waikiki

I do not think Maui Dreams rents scooters, even after you get your Scooter Specialty from them. I have not heard of any Apollo or Dacor Scooter rentals in the State, although I look forward to hearing of somewhere that any John Doe with a Scooter Specialty cert (or instructor cert :)) could rent a scooter

Try ocean legends...they have 3 scooters to chose from..including "CRAPPY" seadoo explorers, with there crappy 2-3 hour battery time, and crappy 3 knot speed
messing with ya G-man

Back
Top Bottom