Woods Hole dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco:
http://205.156.4.52/cgi-bin/EyeSpy....sx=750&wsy=550&bgcolor=ffffff&aligX=1&aligY=1

This is a link to the NOAA chart of woods hole. You can see the depth around the area. No big boats would go in between grassy island and ram island, so that would probably be a good place to anchor a small boat. You would have to be careful of the currents. In that particular spot in the harbor they get bad.

This is a good idea. If I ever decide on trying this, I guess, this will be the plan. Paddle out to Grassy Island, park there, swim to the wrecks underwater and stay down. I guess, the kayaks will be safe even from small boats on Grassy Island :)

mfalco:
http://205.156.4.52/cgi-bin/EyeSpy....sx=750&wsy=550&bgcolor=ffffff&aligX=1&aligY=1

This is a link to the NOAA chart of woods hole. You can see the depth around the area. No big boats would go in between grassy island and ram island, so that would probably be a good place to anchor a small boat. You would have to be careful of the currents. In that particular spot in the harbor they get bad.
If you are going to use a boat, why not just anchor right where you intend to dive? Sounds a bit counterproductive to paddle from Garbage Beach to the island, anchor the boat, then swim almost as far as you would from Garbage Beach.

The link in the previous posts is to a chart of the area.

There is one of those red round bouys right where the spot should be. I'm assuming a diver put it there.

Hi johlar. I'm in North Attleboro too. Let me know if you want a buddy to check out Garbage Beach. I dove there once several years ago for certification dive. I remember there being some tropicals. I wouldn't mind seeing what I could find to add to my aquarium :)

I've been to the wrecks out there and I would not suggest that you make the swim out there. I'm sure someone could prove me wrong... but you would never make it back to shore. It is a long way out there and the currents in Woods Hole can be very strong (and they turn quick). I'd also advise going out there with someone that has done the wrecks before. I've been out there a few times and the viz has always been very poor. Not great wrecks to dive.

Woods Hole shore dive on the other hand is great. Water is warm, you can get some depth, and usally alwasy somethig to see. The tropicals should be there anytime now.

I went for my first dive of the year yesterday evening. We dove at Garbage Beach in Woods Hole.

My computer and my brother's computer both said the water was 56 degrees. I was't even slightly cold. There was about 15' visibility, which is great for that site.

Mike,

We never got to dive together this season. Last time we dove was when I dove STB for the first time with you. I didn't even get to dive Garbage Beach or STB this year. When I brought my gear, I mostly did Hathaway or off my friends house in Plymouth. Garbage Beach is a great twilight/dusk and night dive. (no problem finding parking) I hope to get back down once more in October to help close down the cottage and will for sure want to get a good by dive in off there. Will give you a shout for sure.

Reef,
Give me a shout when you are thinking about doing that dive. I've wanted to do it for a while.

PTN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom