Woods Hole dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like if you line up the end of the long pier with the near corner of the MBL, and come almost straight out from the next pier to the north (the one inside the WHOI parking lot) you have a set of land ranges to locate the wreck. Might be worth poking around a bit to see if it works.

Paul

This is what I was thinking too :) In fact, the place looks well suited for land range nav. Also, this could be a perfect easy kayak dive. No need to swim far and risk being swept away or run over :) Bringing a hand-held GPS on the kayak or attaching it to the dive flag (if shore diving) will improve the chance of hitting the spot.

woodshole2.jpg

This is what I was thinking too :) In fact, the place looks well suited for land range nav. Also, this could be a perfect easy kayak dive. No need to swim far and risk being swept away or run over :) Bringing a hand-held GPS on the kayak or attaching it to the dive flag (if shore diving) will improve the chance of hitting the spot.

I've done Garbage Beach many times and would never attempt a long haul out to the wrecks. Boat traffic can be very heavy, not to mention large (man the ferry is loud underwater) and probably more significant is that the currents can rip pretty good.

Always remember your quarters for the parking meters as they ticket frequently.

Finally be aware that the area is heavily fished and avoiding the many fishing lines can be a big pain. I tend to dive the site early and late in the year when the fishermen are less likely to be around.

Alan

I think this is sound advise. I've done the site 3 times and did get the current, the fishermen, and the ferry. So, I am thinking kayak - much safer and easier :)

That would be sorta like going out into the New Port Harbor or out to the East Passage. I see that large dock there with a large ship and can only imagine was passes over that wreck. I wouldnt be too crazy to anchor a small boat out there either. The Wreck looks likes its in some of the best water of that harbor.

Do you think they would run over a small boat? This doesn't sound good.

They may not see the small boat and not be able to manuever around it when they spot it or a large wake could tip it over like what has happened in New Haven harbor a few years back. Almos looks like its in the channel if traffic also comes from the south. But it looks like other small boats are anchored near it and it may be clear of the channel.

I was mfalco's buddy on Saturday. 56 degrees sounds about right -- we went down to 55', and I was not cold. Colder than near surface, of course, but I could tell it was just wetsuit compression. No thermocline as deep as 55'.

http://205.156.4.52/cgi-bin/EyeSpy....sx=750&wsy=550&bgcolor=ffffff&aligX=1&aligY=1

This is a link to the NOAA chart of woods hole. You can see the depth around the area. No big boats would go in between grassy island and ram island, so that would probably be a good place to anchor a small boat. You would have to be careful of the currents. In that particular spot in the harbor they get bad.

To Oceancurrent and Mfalco, where did you get the maos showing the depths? I have google earth and just checked out Woods Hole, but it doesn't show the depths like you have on there. This could be pretty handy for scouting future dive spots.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom