Woods Hole dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went for my first dive of the year yesterday evening. We dove at Garbage Beach in Woods Hole.

My computer and my brother's computer both said the water was 56 degrees. I was't even slightly cold. There was about 15' visibility, which is great for that site.

Great! Hope to see you there tomorrow!

I've never heard of Garbage Beach. What's it like? Parking, access? I have not done a shore dive in about 3 years but if it's a nice site it might be worth the work.

Hello i have heard of that place but have never been there is it a good place to dive what do you usually see

johlar:
I've never heard of Garbage Beach. What's it like? Parking, access? I have not done a shore dive in about 3 years but if it's a nice site it might be worth the work.

capediver:
Hello i have heard of that place but have never been there is it a good place to dive what do you usually see

It's a decent place to dive. The beach it's self is tiny. There is actually depth from a shore dive. Depths get over 65' in spots. Parking is on the street with meters. I live close, so I go there often. The botom is pretty sandy. Yesterday we saw very large skates, a big flounder, small tatoug, tiny lobsters, squid. We also came across an old tire with about 4 spider crabs outside it and about 30 inside it. During the summer I usually see a lot of scup and tatoug. Sometimes you dive there and see almost nothing. If you swim out enough (and I haven't), there is a deep hole filled with sunken boats, including a barge with a crane attached.

Aaa... do say more... I've dived Garbage beach before, but never knew about the hole with the boats. How do you find it? Where exactly is it?

oceancurrent:
Aaa... do say more... I've dived Garbage beach before, but never knew about the hole with the boats. How do you find it? Where exactly is it?

I've never swam out that far, but it is halfway between the front of grassy island and ram island. It is in the NOAA AWOIS database. Use the search on this website, http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/awois/awoisdbsearch.asp, and search for JANE & FLORA.

large_diver:
You need to pay attention to boat traffic and tides there.....I've been there when the tide has started running out.....current can get pretty stiff...

And in some places it gets deeper on your way to shore, which can throw you off.

Thank you for the info. It looks like the wrecks are relatively easy to find. 400m from garbage beach. Not bad. But you are right that currents and boat traffic can be a problem. Here is a comp map:
woodshole.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom