Wood or aluminum floor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning to buy an inflatable boat and have narrowed down my choices to three possibles. All of them are available with wood or aluminum sectional floors. I'll be deflating the boat and carrying it in the back of my van between uses. I am uncertain which deck material to choose. Aluminum seems more durable for diving, but if damaged, more expensive to replace. Wood is easily replaced but would likely not last as long. Any recomendations? There may be other reasons for choosing one above the other that I don't know, so I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Phil

DutchDown:
I'm planning to buy an inflatable boat and have narrowed down my choices to three possibles. All of them are available with wood or aluminum sectional floors. I'll be deflating the boat and carrying it in the back of my van between uses. I am uncertain which deck material to choose. Aluminum seems more durable for diving, but if damaged, more expensive to replace. Wood is easily replaced but would likely not last as long. Any recomendations? There may be other reasons for choosing one above the other that I don't know, so I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Phil
My vote would go for Alum. It is more durable, lighter and easier to clean and maintain.
The down side for me is that aluminum is not as enviorment friendly as wood meaning that when it's hot out under a glaring sun you are going to get scorched once or twice till you learn on the aluminum. Wood will get hot but, not like to alum. All IMHO of course.
Joe

DutchDown:

Thanks!

Phil

wood is going to be much heavier when it gets wet. I would go with aluminum you cant be wrong there. If your worried about damage from equipment use rubber pads on the decking material wich ever you decide hope this helped

DutchDown:

Thanks!

Phil

Aluminum, only way to go! Had Bombard C-4 w/alum floor. Absolutely bombproof. I sure miss that boat!
don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom