Replacing trunk floor in SUV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So apparently the 2021 Nissan Rogue's trunk floor is a lower quality than my 2016's. After a year of taking my tanks in and out it is starting to collapse. I don't know what it is made out of, but it is pretty light and flexible. So anyone got any ideas of what I should use to replace it (other than a metal plate)?

I don't do much wood working, I have most of the tools to do basic home repairs. So my thoughts is some sort of plywood, and I would run a 2"x4" or a 2"x8" across in the area that takes the most impact. Paint it with something to prevent it from absorbing water.

Any ideas from people that know a bit more about wood working?

20211220_171300.jpg

Cut out what’s falling apart. Get a sheet of aluminum, lay down some type of high temp gasket maker/sealant, then rivet it in.

Cut out what’s falling apart. Get a sheet of aluminum, lay down some type of high temp gasket maker/sealant, then rivet it in.

This is just a cheap plywood or some sort of posterboard that goes between the floor and the spare tire.

An aluminum sheet stout enough to take the loads would be crazy expensibe.

I would look at plywood. If you find one that ends with an "X" (ABX or ACX for example), the X is for water resistant. Easy enough to carve up with a jig saw to fit. Get a quart of nice thick heavy duty paint (probably an enamel) and give it a few coats. One to soak in and another (or more) to finish sealing it and give it a durable finish. Probably top with a door mat to keep stuff from sliding around.

Any ideas from people that know a bit more about wood working?
Cheep like Free ?? Should just throw a pallet back there. It will even stop the tanks from rolling around.

Cheep like Free ?? Should just throw a pallet back there. It will even stop the tanks from rolling around.

No, I am willing to put in the work and money to make it look good. The car is only a year old now, though it has 30k on it from going up and down I75 to cave country weekly.

Paint the wood with flex seal. Seriously.

If you're going to put a piece of plywood cut to size in, and need to add some ribs for stiffness, might as well space them to make good roll stops for the tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom