Women's BARE Vevocity Wetsuit - sizing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sylvie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

Last year I bought a 3/2 mm Women's BARE Vevocity Wetsuit, and I'm now considering buying a 5/4 mm. Will I need a larger size to conpensate the thicker material makes it stiffer and hense more difficult to put on?
The reason I'm asking is because I'll have to oder the suit without trying it on, as can't get Bare in my area. I bought my last suit while on vacation in Malta, where they manufacture the suits for the European market. I was thinking ordering the same model but with different thickness and getting it shipped from Malta. I had tried so many models on and this was one of the few that fit.

Cheers

Sylvie

I would e-mail them directly, tell them your situation and I bet they will get right back to you.
I would think that the sizing would be the same for both 3/2 mm and the 5/4 mm but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sylvie:
Hi

Last year I bought a 3/2 mm Women's BARE Vevocity Wetsuit, and I'm now considering buying a 5/4 mm. Will I need a larger size to conpensate the thicker material makes it stiffer and hense more difficult to put on?
The reason I'm asking is because I'll have to oder the suit without trying it on, as can't get Bare in my area. I bought my last suit while on vacation in Malta, where they manufacture the suits for the European market. I was thinking ordering the same model but with different thickness and getting it shipped from Malta. I had tried so many models on and this was one of the few that fit.

Cheers

Sylvie

The size should be the size, that is the reason for having sizes. If your 3/2 fits you well you should be OK. Staying with the same brand will help a lot since usually all of the suits are based on the same model. Jumping between brands can be less consistent.

If you're not sure about the fit www.divetank.com will take your measurements on their site and interpret the correct suit size and guarantee the fit, they will get back to you within a day with a personal reply. They'd probably do it right on the phone as well. I have a 7mm Bare Arctic & hooded step-in vest coming from them right now and customer service is excellent.

I have the mens 5/4 Velocity and put about 65 skin dives on it last year. The 3/5 hooded vest is an excellent layering item for it. It will shut down the back zipper and neck seepage while keeping your head cozy. We were comfortable skindiving into the low 50sF (17C). Remember this was not at depth so your diving results will vary.

Pete

The size should be the size, that is the reason for having sizes. If your 3/2 fits you well you should be OK. Staying with the same brand will help a lot since usually all of the suits are based on the same model. Jumping between brands can be less consistent.​

Not true at all...(well, the size should be the size, but very often, it's not. All sizes within a brand may be based on the same model, but unless the pattern is adjusted each time the material changes, it doesn't matter. Read on...)

One question you need to know the answer to before ordering your suit- does the manufacturer use a single pattern for a particular size regardless of the thickness of the material, or is the pattern size increased as the material gets thicker. Adjusting the pattern for the material is essential if sizing is to remain consistent, but it is often not done (i.e. one size medium pattern is used regardless if it's for a 1mm or 7mm suit).

I had a couple of 3mm suits that fit great, and ordered a 7mm suit in the same size. Not only was was it constricting, but after a few minutes, it had cut off the circulation in my wrists and ankles. I laid it on top of the 3mm suit, and noticed that both were exactly the same size. Initially, you might think that this makes sense. However, the exterior of the 7mm suit would have to be larger for the interior of suit (the space that your body occupies) to be the same as the 3mm. A little math (subtracting the difference in thickness of the two suits from the radius of the wrist measurement, and recalculating the area), and I was soon aware that the space that my wrists were passing through in these identically sized suits was actually 26% smaller in the 7mm suit. No wonder it cut off my circulation. With bigger body spaces, like the torso of the suit, you won't notice the difference as much - just a more snug fit.

Still with me?

Though the difference in your suit choice is only 2mm, if the pattern is not adjusted, you'll still notice a difference. If your wrist is approximately 7", an unadjusted pattern will result in reduction of 13.64% (wrist only). If it's smaller, the difference will be greater; it it's larger, the difference will be less. I use the wrist as a guide as it's the smallest opening in the suit, and will be most affected by a lack of pattern adjustment.

If the pattern is adjusted for the thickness of material (not sure of the odds here), then you should get the size that you already know fits you well. If you think the thickness will make the suit more difficult to put on - it shouldn't. If you start with your feet in the suit, invert the suit, and roll it up your legs (pausing at the knees to make sure that they're in place), you should have no more trouble with a thick suit than a thin one.

I hope that this helps - good luck !

Thanks for the input guys.

I had considered of the pattern making issue, and asked two dive professionals about it and received two opposite responses.

I know that with Bare I’m a different size depending on the Model. I.e. Two in a half years ago I tried the woman’s 7mm Arctic SGS Full Suit and fit me well except across the shoulders, where it was too constricting. It was either too tight or too short, or both. I’m not sure any more. I’m very tall and have very broad shoulders, i.e. Typical swimmers V shaped torso with small waist. In the 3mm velocity model I’ was two or three sizes smaller (even after gaining weight), because not only is the material more stretchy, but the cut is different, and allows for greater flexibility across the shoulders and chest area.

There is not point in looking at sizing charts, because they’ve never worked for me. I simply don’t fit into any standard size. Not only is my hight usually off the scale, but in the other regards I’m all over the place. Nevertheless, I've managed to find a 3mm and a 7mm that fit, so I remain optimistic regarding the 5mm.

I guess the best option would be to write to the manufacturer directly and be specific about the pattern making, and sizing question.

Cheers

Sylvie

Hi Sylvie,

I have a Bare Velocity 3/2 mm full wetsuit in size 6. Recently I tried on the 5/4 mm, which was marked size 5/6 on the label. It was tighter and more restrictive than the 3/2, although it still fit. I re-tried my 3/2 just to make sure, and it still fit perfectly.

It didn't seem to be just the thickness, since I am used to wearing a 2-piece 7 mm.

Maybe in addition to asking those pattern questions, you can figure out how well your 3/2 fits now - if it is on the tight side or the looser side. If it is very tight, you might want to consider going up a size in the 5/4 mm. If it fits well or not too tight, you might be ok with the same size. Good luck!

Hi Again

Thanks for your input Ayisha. It's good to hear from someone who uses the exact same models. I did consider trying on my 3mm again. It seemed to fit normally (neither tight nor loose) when I last used it in December. I should try it again, as I think I may have lost weight since.

Much to my surprise I found a dive shop that can order the Bare wet suit for me so I can try it on before purchasing it. The order is non binding, which is rather uncustomary and flexible for Switzerland.

I still have approximately six weeks till my next dive holiday, so hopefully I find something by then.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom