Women in the industry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbliss85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm 26, female, and looking into commercial diving. A scubaboard member(Muddiver) has been amazingly helpful with pointers and things to think about. I believe I have decided upon Lousiana Tech. I've researched the schools in Houtson, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Louisiana, and Washington. I enjoy hard, physical, work. I like to feel as though I've earned my sleep for the night. I work hard and always strive to be the best in the group. I am open to criticism and would love more information from anybody and everybody willing to reply.

Never met a female diver offshore before, although I have been told they exist. Maybe inshore ?

My friend went offshore not sure if she is still there. Also saw a breakout diver on a show Diver Down. Inland I personally know of two

Go for it. Some of us are just more physical or are at least willing to work/lift heavy without moaning and groaning about it. I've dove with a few female fish farmer divers who were just plain tough.

Have a female diver on an offshore job with us at the moment in Malaysia. So you can get dive work. Went to school with 1 female diver, not sure if she ever got a job thou. This is the first female that i have ever seen offshore in Aisa.

As Muddiver has probably pointed out, commercial offshore diving is far more about heavy construction than diving. Long before considering diving school I always recommend acquiring skills in rigging, welding, basic diesel mechanics, seamanship, and the use of hand and power tools — which is an enigma since virtually all tools are hammers to commercial divers. Keep in mind that divers are paid for the job they complete that happens to be underwater. Many divers find that the lifestyle is not what they expected. Working in heavy construction or offshore will be a big advantage both on your résumé and determining if you will be happy in this work.

The diving industry is notorious for rigorous scrutiny of newbies. Every tender must prove to the supervisor’s and diver’s satisfaction that they can perform mentally and physically when a life is on the other end of that hose. Proving mental toughness often involves overcoming some pretty abusive behavior. Physical toughness requires a lot of upper body strength. Every diver starts their career as a tender and schlepping heavy crap all day — which are 12 hours plus offshore.

No doubt there is a “Neanderthal” character to the work environment; it is a rough, dirty, and dangerous business. It is also a business with eye-watering operating costs. As a result, there are lots of people waiting in line for your potentially high-paid job and client reps who are masterful at diverting blame.

It would be foolish not to expect greater scrutiny due to gender… except maybe from diving school admissions. Regardless of what they might tell you, there are a far more diving school graduates than working commercial divers. I blame the high “drop-out” rate more on unrealistic expectations of the lifestyle and the skills they must bring to the game.

Best of luck with your career choices.

also, for inshore diving, you may dive only 80% of the time. My company does everything from dock maintenance to mooring inspections before the season starts, welding and fabricating and some other things here and there. I know alot of people that are Divas, " I didnt go to dive school to work on dry land ". Thats the wrong attitude. Having a well rounded knowledge of ALL maritime projects and construction are essential. As a business owner if i only dove I wouldnt make enough to stay afloat. Winter time is alot of topside work and maintenance and as the summer grows closer the diving picks up as the sleepy tourist town comes to life once again with the warm weather brings boat traffic and people needing underwater construction and vessel maintenance.

Thank you all for your input. I am greatly appreciative of the replies. I have the ability to learn and quickly master anything put in front of me. I learn best by doing. I do not have a specific skill or trade and plan to posess them all through hard work and the dedication I thrive on. My instinct with any new challenge is to be the best and do the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom