Woman in man's wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cork2win

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm still in my OW class but looking at wetsuit options for our upcoming vacation. I need something light since we'll be in tropical waters, I'm thinking 2mm or 3mm, tops. The problem is that I'm a woman built like a linebacker. I'm 5'10" and 240. I'm very muscular, big calves, big arms, no waist. I'm basically built like a man with boobs. Women's wetsuits (at least off the rack) are not going to fit me. I'm looking at men's suits but I'm paranoid that everyone is going to know I'm in a "man's" wetsuit. Is there such a thing? Other than sizing, is the man's suit obviously different than the woman's suit? I know that's probably a stupid question but I'm paranoid. I'm not trying to hide that I'm big, pretty hard to hide that, just trying to avoid getting a suit that has a pee valve when I'm a girl! :)

I'm with Walter, what works works.

To answer your question though... A Females suit is cut wider at the hips and is tailored for the bustline. If your comfortable then you are good to go.

Once upon a time this would have been your only real option and those materials were not nearly as forgiving. Even ladies cuts were in the catalogs finding one in stock was a whole other deal.

Pete

I bought my wetsuit off the rack. It's probably a man's never really paid any attention. It fits that's all that matters. Finding "womens" stuff just makes it cost more.

My Wife (and I) are in the "fluffy" category, and for our recent OW checkout dives we both ended up in identical 7mm John/jacket suits. She Did OK in it, but did have a little extra mater movement in the areas that naturally are harder to fit - mainly the bust and associated area. She got a little cold, but otherwise was OK, except for a minor bit of panic due to the "OMG it's hot, I'm in 14mm of neoprene, and wearing 80lbs of gear and weight" factor. Other dives in the same suit for fine.

She just picked up a 5mm Hyperstretch though, but hasn't dove with it yet. It's hard to tell if it'll perform much better, but at least she commented that it actually "lets her still look female" while in it.

It might not fit properly under the arms and under the chest area where women's suits are tapered to account for the bust. Have you tried Bare? They have a larger selection of sizes. Most LDS's are limited to the number of sizes they carry.

I wore a men's wetsuit for my OW dives and a few times as a rental until I got my own. I the problem I had was getting it over my hips for it to fit anywhere else and the length was too long. Try some one and go with what works best for you. Who cares if it's technically a mens.

Option one:

look for one of the superstretch neoprene wetsuits, they tend to adjust to the "not off the rack" body types better.

Option two:

Take up football.

:)

cork2win:
I'm still in my OW class but looking at wetsuit options for our upcoming vacation. I need something light since we'll be in tropical waters, I'm thinking 2mm or 3mm, tops.:)

Custom wetsuits are not that expensive. For $350 you could have a wetsuit made to your exact size. For maybe $100 you could have an off the rack suit customized to your size. They can open up a seam and add or remove matrial as required. It is best to use a local outfit so the person who makes the wetsuit can see and measure you but you can also work over the phone. Another advantage of full custom is you get to pick colors and the design. OUt here is So Cal "JMJ" is the place for custom work and repairs. http://jmjwetsuits.com/ their web site is not great, just give then a call.

The biggest problem with the mens suits (been there done that) was the bustline. While I got it zipped up, the gap between the bust and neck allowed a huge exchange of water in. That was the miserable part, moving in the water knowing with each move a gallon of cold water was going to swap with the semi-warm stuff sitting between my shoulders and neck.

Back
Top Bottom