Woman in man's wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As suggested the super stretch neoprenes work well & fit a variety of sizes and genders. The Henderson stretch and insulate quite well. The other option is getting a dive skin and getting a nice female neoprene vest. It certainly isn't as great as an entire wetsuit, but easier to travel with, doff on/off as well as accommodating different physiques.

Hi, there!

I am a big lady too... 5'8" and weigh... uh, more than you :wink:. All my wetsuits are "mens". I have never had anyone give me any odd looks, or comments about my physique or my wetsuit while diving. Here's a couple of tips though, that I think might help you:

1. The Henderson Microprene 1 mil is stretchy, and easy to go on. The arms and legs tend to be a bit long on me... but you're taller, so prolly not as bad on you. I find this suit very comfy.

2. The Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch..... by FAR the MOST comfy wetsuit I've ever put on! They don't call it a Hyperstretch for nothing! You won't believe how much it stretches. Also, it's definitely EASY to don due to the stretch. Again, the arms and legs are long on me... but I figure it's something I just have to deal with cause I'm "fluffy" everywhere else. :wink: I have a 3 mil.

If I had to suggest one over the other.... definitely the Henderson Hyperstretch.... it's well worth the $$ and I don't think anyone could be disappointed with this suit.

I hope this helps you.

I would buy a super stretch again. I have a men's Parkway 3 mil (since gone out of business)
But it is very forgiving about being asked to stretch over the errrr....mountain range, never once had anyone say anything. Divers don't care, just think about how great we look with our mask lines, and funny tan lines, and wet stringy hair.....ahhh we are beautiful...lol

The thing is that if you are buying a lightweight tropical wetsuit, then a bit of cleavage leakage shouldnt be too much of a problem. If it is, then a lycra surf shirt would drastically refuce it and in my experience adding the extra layer is like adding a good 2 mm to a wetsuit.

Thank you so much everyone! The information is extremely helpful. I'm not extremely gifted in the boob area so I don't think the possibly gapping fit in the men's suits will be a problem there. I'll probably get called "sir" more than once, and it won't be the first time!

I just want to say that I am absolutely addicted to this and I'm not even done with my class yet. I finished class 3 last night and got a total of 2 hours of sleep because I kept tossing and turning thinking about scuba, all the drills, all I did wrong and right, all I want to do better. It's crazy! Love this board...

I have a combo for cold water diving... the jumpsuit part reads MAN and when I pull the shorty over it, it says in fairly large letters LADY on the leg. So I must be a Lady Man. Like said nobody's going to care even if you just picked the men's model because they had better color scheme than women's this season! It's all about fit and availability and personal choice.

Anyway, I just wanted to use this thread to bring up my pet peeve. Why are there so many wetsuit companies that think women do not grow taller than 5'7"-5'8"?? Luckily there are many companies that make men's suits that aren't huge on shoulder area but about the time to move to this century!

P.S. If you do not want very gender-specific wetsuit, stay away from Swedish Waterproof. They are quite specific with their outlines and umm... cup areas...

piikki:
Anyway, I just wanted to use this thread to bring up my pet peeve. Why are there so many wetsuit companies that think women do not grow taller than 5'7"-5'8"??

I have the opposite problem - I'm 5'-4" - to wear any of the rack suits, I have to roll up the arms and legs.

And just to agree with some of the other posts - the super stretchy wetsuits - I have a henderson hyperstretch - are great at adjusting to fit different body types.

Ditto the Henderson Hyperstretch. I've been fitting people in wetsuits for over 21 years. There used to be a lot of people that we had to put in custom suits, or they couldn't get into a suit at all. Thank goodness for Hyperstretch!!!

We fit all types and sizes of people in them everyday. No one will bother you if you go with a men's, but with a Hyperstretch you may still be able to fit in a women's. If you email me more size specifics, I can recommend a suit for you.

Good luck, and good luck on your OW, I know you'll do great!!!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Actually, the Hendeson Aquaseude women's and men's suits are identical. Since I own a couple of hyperstretch suits I would notice a woman in a men's suit, but I wouldn't think anything about it. I tried on a couple of men's suits in the past because I'm tall, but I had a problem with gaps and the arms way too big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom