Woman critical after West Van scuba diving accident - Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO some personalities are more likely to have the fight (problem solving) response than a flight (panic) response. How they respond to stress in one area of life is likely to be indicative of how they respond in other areas. In other words some people are less prone to panic than others.

The only way to solve this issue is to practice skill sets until they are so ingrained that they become the automatic response to a triggering event. Practice take the stress out of events and make them manageable.

The amount of practice required will depend on the person the attrition of unused skills is what makes ongoing courses and and practice vital.

We don't know how that or even if that applies to this situation but anything that triggers people to keep skills up is worthwhile!

...I believe that, if anything, a more fruitful discussion would be one that encourages people to practice the skills they did learn at whatever level of training they had ... because without practice, a diver doesn't retain the ability to put those skills to use when they are needed.

I agree Bob. We should encourage people to practice the skills that they were taught and realize the skills that have been omitted from their education so they can quickly acquire them. To live in a bubble oblivious to what may be reasonably required of them in an emergency is tragic and is worthy of discussion.

Rescue training is great, but I'd like to see more OW divers who know to keep the reg in their mouth until back on the boat/shore...

Don, I admit that when I saw this in one of your posts on another forum last year, I thought it seemed kind of silly: keeping the reg in your mouth until you get to the bench?

But because I've learned so much from you and others on this board, I started doing it. This summer, when diving in the Bahamas, I got back to the bench with the reg in mouth and notice some students across from me giggling about it. Their instructor backed me up, saying I was being prudent.

Then on the next dive, I'm on the surface with reg in mouth and the student group happened to surface then, too (all maintaining regs in their mouths). As we watched, an "experienced buddy diver" boarded the boat and pulled her reg out to make a comment. Right then, a wave hit the boat and yep! She went flying back over! She came up sputtering and slamming the reg into her mouth.

The students boarded first, then me and my buddy. As I sat down, I looked over and there they all were - with their regs in their mouths! :D

Just glad they learned without getting hurt. I'm so glad to have you on this board! :cheerleader:

Trish

Last edited:
Don, I admit that when I saw this in one of your posts on another forum last year, I thought it seemed kind of silly: keeping the reg in your mouth until you get to the bench?

But because I've learned so much from you and others on this board, I started doing it. This summer, when diving in the Bahamas, I got back to the bench with the reg in mouth and notice some students across from me giggling about it. Their instructor backed me up, saying I was being prudent.

Then on the next dive, I'm on the surface with reg in mouth and the student group happened to surface then, too (all maintaining regs in their mouths). As we watched, an "experienced buddy diver" boarded the boat and pulled her reg out to make a comment. Right then, a wave hit the boat and yep! She went flying back over! She came up sputtering and slamming the reg into her mouth.

The students boarded first, then me and my buddy. As I sat down, I looked over and there they all were - with their regs in their mouths! :D

Just glad they learned without getting hurt. I'm so glad to have you on this board! :cheerleader:

Trish
Neat story! Maybe you're overly kind for my part, and I'm not sure where I learned that, but some of it came from reading stories here and elsewhere about other divers like yours who got hit by a wave without, but didn't survive, and other sad stories. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Some of my ideas are better than others... :eyebrow:

This is sad news for sure.
I'm sure her family is heartbroken......
I would think the entire dive community is saddened by this tragedy as well.

Its unfortunate that accidents happen but this should be a learning lesson for us all when diving.....follows the rules,,,,be conservative and keep it fun and safe.

Well that is disappointing. Nobody ever wants this outcome. I hope that we both as a group, and as individuals are able to learn something- anything- from the tragic toll this lady has paid. Thus far, without any concrete information of what happened, I for one am taking away from this incident an renewed awareness that "it" can happen to anyone anytime and on any dive, and also a vicious reminder that we are going into an inhospitable environment and need to keep that at the forefront of our minds on each dive.

Perhaps we can all take a moment before our next dive to go over procedures for an OOA ascent. IF it IS second nature for you and your buddy, then an extra, quick, mental run-through will likely suffice. IF NOT, talk it over with your buddy so that you are both playing from the same game plan if the dive goes south. Remember, the dive is not over until everyone is on dry land, so include surfacing and oral inflation procedures in your plan. Yes there is a vocal group among SB'ers who do practice this every dive, but for the rest of the recreational diving world this reminder could help someone somewhere mitigate their own incident.

While I am not saying that this is what went wrong, in view of what we understand happened, this may be more beneficial than a "moment of silence"

let me propose something that will surely date me and be considered not in-vogue but i grew up diving with a good old fashioned inner tube with flag attached and basket in middle. tying my reel to this has always served me well:
1) It gets seen by boats better,
2) provides surface floatation if tired or injured
3) holds extra gear (mask snorkel),
4) provides a very effective and safe upline for ordinary or emergency ascents
5) can tie my gear off
6) can hang extra bottles
7) great to stow catch (bugs, portholes, etc.)

I know I am going to be attacked for such an outdated technique but it has served me well for thousands of dives.

if this woman had this would she have died? that's a question

let me propose something that will surely date me and be considered not in-vogue but i grew up diving with a good old fashioned inner tube with flag attached and basket in middle. tying my reel to this has always served me well:
1) It gets seen by boats better,
2) provides surface floatation if tired or injured
3) holds extra gear (mask snorkel),
4) provides a very effective and safe upline for ordinary or emergency ascents
5) can tie my gear off
6) can hang extra bottles
7) great to stow catch (bugs, portholes, etc.)

I know I am going to be attacked for such an outdated technique but it has served me well for thousands of dives.

if this woman had this would she have died? that's a question

I like your idea, Cruisin Home.

Back
Top Bottom