Woman critical after West Van scuba diving accident - Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found out a bit more info regarding this sad incident. Although it is second-hand, it can perhaps shed a bit more light on it.

The decedent was buddied up with a friend of a friend of mine. They were acquainted through a dive club.

She ran out of air in about 90 feet of water. This occurred quite early in the dive, perhaps only 11 minutes or so. She was obviously breathing very fast, for whatever reason. Her buddy managed to share air and bring her to the surface, but at the surface, she failed to establish positive buoyancy and was climbing over the buddy, so the buddy had to disengage from her to save his own skin. She then sank back down, the alert was called, and she was found by a dive master or instructor in about 20 minutes. The rescuer got bent in the process. I assume he was ok after a chamber ride.

Lesson learned: One must always remember to establish positive buoyancy at the surface. In an out-of-air situation, this means ditching weights and/or orally inflating the BCD. Sadly, many victims in out-of-air situations fail to do either of these in a panic, and subsequently drown after reaching the surface.

Lesson learned: One must always remember to establish positive buoyancy at the surface. In an out-of-air situation, this means ditching weights and/or orally inflating the BCD. Sadly, many victims in out-of-air situations fail to do either of these in a panic, and subsequently drown after reaching the surface.
Thanks Rob. There may well be more potential lessons here, like monitoring one's SPG well, monitoring the buddy's Spg, predive discussions on the dive plan, how to ditch the other's weights if indicated, etc. I understand that you are sharing what you've heard and don't have direct access to the details.

I do certainly agree tho, that ditching weights and orally inflating failures have been indicated in far too many losses seen on this form. Directly because of these, my bud & I drill on both skills at the first of any dive trip, locally or away. I really don't cover enough with instant buddies I don't guess; need to work on that.

She ran out of air in about 90 feet of water. This occurred quite early in the dive, perhaps only 11 minutes or so. She was obviously breathing very fast, for whatever reason.

Or she did not have a full tank to start with and didn't check the pressure before diving. That is what happened in the only OOA incident I was ever near.

In any case, the failure to achieve buoyancy while on the surface due to panic is a problem you hear about all too often.

Thanks Rob. There may well be more potential lessons here, like monitoring one's SPG well, monitoring the buddy's Spg, predive discussions on the dive plan, how to ditch the other's weights if indicated, etc. I understand that you are sharing what you've heard and don't have direct access to the details.

I do certainly agree tho, that ditching weights and orally inflating failures have been indicated in far too many losses seen on this form. Directly because of these, my bud & I drill on both skills at the first of any dive trip, locally or away. I really don't cover enough with instant buddies I don't guess; need to work on that.

Not sure about this incident in specific but in general, a diver with an empty tank should not be more than a pound or two negative at the surface even with a wing fully deflated. I imagine with fighting 2lbs of being negative is not that hard, particularly in a panic.

Being over-weighted clearly is not the root cause for this incident but in general, it is something that can complicate emergency situations.

She ran out of air in about 90 feet of water. This occurred quite early in the dive, perhaps only 11 minutes or so.

I have taken Rescue Diver. We have always practiced getting an unconscious diver to the surface by making them positively buoyant. This assumes their power inflator is working. What would you do with someone who was truly (SPG=0 psi) out of air at depth? Would you try to orally inflate their vest to begin the rescue, or make yourself buoyant instead? I think that I would try #2 out of simplicity, but I'd hate to lose my grip...

I have taken Rescue Diver. We have always practiced getting an unconscious diver to the surface by making them positively buoyant. This assumes their power inflator is working. What would you do with someone who was truly (SPG=0 psi) out of air at depth? Would you try to orally inflate their vest to begin the rescue, or make yourself buoyant instead? I think that I would try #2 out of simplicity, but I'd hate to lose my grip...
Since you asked, I hope I would be looking for their weight releases on ascent, but then I have never brought up a real emergency. All of mine have been LOA only. The emergency of the situation could challenge thinking of course.

And some don't have weights to release. For those, look for kit releases, as she would float without the kit.

That said, I am sure the rescuer did his best and I am not trying to fault his efforts, but simply offering future ideas.

Would you try to orally inflate their vest to begin the rescue, or make yourself buoyant instead?
I hope I would orally inflate their BCD to get us neutral/slightly positive on the bottom to begin the ascent. The problem with having ME really positive to lift "us" off the bottom is that IF something happened and I lost control of the victim, she'd sink and I'd rocket -- OTOH if the victim is positive ad I lost control, she'd rise and I'd sink, which is something I could easily fix.

Since you asked, I hope I would be looking for their weight releases on ascent, but then I have never brought up a real emergency. All of mine have been LOA only. The emergency of the situation could challenge thinking of course.

Since the OOA was being managed with an octo I would hope for a slow, controlled ascent. Dumping weights would not be my first choice until already on the surface.

I hope I would orally inflate their BCD to get us neutral/slightly positive on the bottom to begin the ascent. The problem with having ME really positive to lift "us" off the bottom is that IF something happened and I lost control of the victim, she'd sink and I'd rocket -- OTOH if the victim is positive ad I lost control, she'd rise and I'd sink, which is something I could easily fix.

That is what I was taught - make the victim positive. However, getting my face close to a diver who is possibly panicked while temporarily removing my octo from my mouth (so as as to orally inflate their BC) is not my idea of fun. I guess that is one very strong reason to bungee your octo around your neck - that way, it will always be yours, even if a panicked diver tries to take it. This supposes that they don't strangle you in the process...

Since the OOA was being managed with an octo I would hope for a slow, controlled ascent. Dumping weights would not be my first choice until already on the surface.
Agreed! By "would be looking for their weight releases on ascent" I meant in preparation in case needed at surface.

Was she is a BC or Plate...??

Agreed! By "would be looking for their weight releases on ascent" I meant in preparation in case needed at surface.

Was she is a BC or Plate...??

With a pair of trusty EMT shears it doesn't matter. :)

Back
Top Bottom