Witness a murder at Casa Blanca toady

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can not verify if it ended in fish homicide, but definitely aggravated assault...
Starting at 5:35 there is a peacock flounder attempting to swallow and then stunning a fish by beating it into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tCSfla4H0

Edit: Anyone know why the youtube embed seems to error out?

Never heard of Cedar Wall (Paso de Cedral is Cedral Wall).

Here is a reef map: Reefs of Cozumel - Cozumel Reef Map

Cedral is like other sites where there are dives at multiple depths. You can see on your map that Paso de Cedral is 50 to 60 feet. The wall is deeper, like 90-100 plus.

I can't keep them all straight, but I think Cedral has 3 dives maybe? The wall, Paso de Cedral and Cedar shallows? (Though I suspect that Paso and shallows could be the same.)

For instance, Villa Blanca has "Villa Blanca Wall", then there's a 50-60 foot dive there (I had only done the wall until this last trip), plus there's a Villa Blanca shore dive. I don't know or think the 50-60 foot dive there has a fancy name or any name. It's just Villa Blanca at about 50-60 feet. (And was a favorite dive last trip. Between two of us, we'd done over 700 dives on Cozumel and never been there with the exception of the end of diving the wall.) And I could be wrong about all of this, because when I've done the Wall, you drop in barely north of Casa del Mar and we did the same with the 50-60 foot dive. My understanding of the wall dive was that it was Villa Blanca Wall, but I could be wrong. Does anybody know?

When it comes to "walls", I think there's some kind of wall dive all along the coast and you can dive at places nobody ever purposely goes if you put the time in, or if you're "lucky". 3 trips ago we wound up some place that had a name I've never heard before and don't remember now. Can't remember where we were diving, but the current picked up and so half the dive, for most of us anyhow, was after the end of a named site. It was 40-50 feet deep and there was quite a bit of sand but you'd come upon little coral heads here and there and then every once in awhile you'd come to a chunk of reef that was as big as a school bus or two. At the end, the DM explained where we were, said the name of it and said nobody really dives there for obvious reasons. (sparse growth). I loved it and love those dives.

-Blair

We saw a moray hunting in a big den of lobsters. The moray would approach a lobster, and the lobster would defend himself by waving his antennae, and if sufficiently threatened, would jet off in reverse. Then the moray would stalk another potential victim. We happened upon this show just before it was time for our safety stop, and we hung there in 20 feet of water and watched for a long time before surfacing. We didn't witness a murder, though. I can't recall the site, but it was in Cozumel.

OK, I am stumped with the location of 'Casa Blanca', is this an alternate name for another site?

OK was PM'd with a detailed answer "Casa Blanca is Cedral--well towards the middle of Cedral. Named for the white house on shore that the captains use as a reference. Chan Fran also calls it Monica Lewinski house."

Can not verify if it ended in fish homicide, but definitely aggravated assault...
Starting at 5:35 there is a peacock flounder attempting to swallow and then stunning a fish by beating it into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tCSfla4H0

Edit: Anyone know why the youtube embed seems to error out?

LOL, that is funny and messed up at the same time. It's not bad enough that nature played a bad trick on flounder and made them into a Picasso painting with their eyes on the same side of their head, but that video shows they can't even get eating down right.

Looked like some type of puffer fish or he was eating a discarded dog toy.

Casa Blanca is one of two giant villas south of Playa Palancar. It's not the name of a reef, but rather just a "jumping point" which puts the divers in the middle of La Francesa Reef, (not Cedar Pass as previously posted.) However, jumping there will have the dive ending up at Cedar Pass and beyond, depending on current and air consumption.

I've never heard of three sections of Cedar Pass, but the wall to the west of the shallower (50-60') area is quite beautiful and when it ends or starts to get deeper, you can swim into the Cedar Pass area and then continue on to Santa Rosa shallows.

There are many places "between" dive sites that are incredible and I never did get why so many DM's just start at the beginning of the "named" reefs since there is so much more to see with, of course, fewer divers.......just MHO.

Back
Top Bottom