Within Intro standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm.....
So now it's what you DRINK that matters.
Er ...
And now back to your regularily scheduled thread. :D

Back to proof-reading...Just thought I would throw in a nonsense comment.
Just like me to do something like that.
(non-professional that I am ) :confused:

EEK!

As a newbie to all this, my comments are worth what you have paid for them.

While doing Intro dives in Mexico a few weeks ago I came upon the situation of coming to a tied in jump line and, after "consultation" with the dive leader (an Intro instructor but not mine) we continued on the mainline. In talking with him later it was his belief that it was a "close call" but OK to ignore.

Later in the week I asked the same question to the person who was my Intro instructor and his response was -- NO! At the Intro level you are not trained to make the navigational decisions so don't make them -- so if you come to a "T" (temporary or permanent, doesn't matter) you turn the dive.

The other thing I was told (instructed) was NOT to do drills in the overhead -- which would include lost line/lost buddy drills. So, even if this was a "drill scenario" I would be violating my limits to do the "lost buddy drill" which just happened to get me to see some stuff.

recently when exiting ginnie we came to a jump line that was not there on the way in. a buddy of mine (who will remain nameless :) ) told me after the dive he mistook it for the goldline

One of the best things I think someone has told me so far is..."Who cares if it's within standards or not, have YOU received training or do you have the experience to do it?". If you're concerned enough to ask, there's a good chance you weren't taught how to do it.

We were taught how to tie off the main line to go explore off to the side of a passage (more geared towards a large room here I think), but not taught to do a jump.

We were taught how to tie off the main line to go explore off to the side of a passage (more geared towards a large room here I think), but not taught to do a jump.

Interesting. We were heavily discouraged in Cave 1 from going far from the mainline. The idea was that staying on the mainline (or the jump lines in side passages) concentrates the damage from the bubbles in one area. Look, but don't swim there, was the message.

The other thing I was told (instructed) was NOT to do drills in the overhead -- which would include lost line/lost buddy drills. So, even if this was a "drill scenario" I would be violating my limits to do the "lost buddy drill" which just happened to get me to see some stuff.

Also fairly new to this, so take this for what it's worth as well. My Intro instructor encouraged us to continue to drill after we received our Intro cert. He said, sometime, (always after you turn the dive) pull out the safety and do a lost line or lost buddy drill with your buddy watching then switch. Practice OOA exits, touch contact etc. It would seem pretty strange to me to be trained and drilled (seriously drilled) to do these things and then be told not to do them, after you completed the training, in the environment for which they were intended.

InkD -- this might be a case of a difference between Fl and Mexico. I think the primary reason I was told not to do the drills in the overhead was to prevent (limit) damage to the cave. I was NOT told NOT to do the drills -- just not to do them in the overhead.

InkD -- this might be a case of a difference between Fl and Mexico. I think the primary reason I was told not to do the drills in the overhead was to prevent (limit) damage to the cave. I was NOT told NOT to do the drills -- just not to do them in the overhead.

That is very likely. I also probably accounts for Lynn being told to not go too far off the mainline. In FL we were told as long as we could reference the gold line, we could and should feel free to move around, find the areas with ebbs in the flow, etc.

My Intro instructor encouraged us to continue to drill after we received our Intro cert. He said, sometime, (always after you turn the dive) pull out the safety and do a lost line or lost buddy drill with your buddy watching then switch.

The problem here is that there are designated areas within a cave where instructors are allowed to perform lost line drills and such (prevents damage to sensitive areas). You just doing them when you feel like it can ruin a beautiful clay bank for everyone for 100's of years to come. Obviously if a clay bank was ruined in a real life or death situation, who cares, a life is more important - but if it is ruined just to get in some practice...... :shakehead:

Don't forget about the safety of others in the system around you as well. Doing a lost line drill in a sensitive area could render a silt out that may effect other teams.

You know, the Horseshoe jump is close enough you could reel a primary in and tie off on that line and do swim the line. Of course, you'd have to turn around and swim it back so you better make sure everyone doing that dive has really good buoyancy control... :wink:

Actually, the cavern side of the horeshoe circuit has a "T" on it that creates a circuit within the cavern zone. So you'd effectively be creating another "T" by tying into it. Then you'd have to navigate another "T" in route to the horseshoe(deep) section. So unless you run a primary from OW, all the way down the chimney and to the beginning of the horseshoe circuit(in the deep section), you wouldn't see anything but the upper cavern room.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom