With Boeing in Cross Hairs, Lion Air Gets a Pass on Poor Safety Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice lobbying... but the death of so many people is still on Boeing's conscience, not on Lion Air or Ethiopian Airlines.
Even your own American pilots/crew don't want to fly again in this piece of crap.
I sincerely hope this plane will never fly again, as no matter how the MCAS software is updated, it will never change the bad design of the plane with its new bigger and heavier engines which completely change the plane aerodynamic and behaviour.

737 (first flew April 9, 1967) based on 727 based on 707 that first flew in 1957. And has been 'updated' regularly since, unfortunaly they've been dragging a dead dog for a few years as they know they need a new single aisle plane, but don't have the billions to fund a new plane.
Good video here that explains the economics that led Boeing to build the Max.

Nice lobbying... but the death of so many people is still on Boeing's conscience, not on Lion Air or Ethiopian Airlines.
Even your own American pilots/crew don't want to fly again in this piece of crap.
I sincerely hope this plane will never fly again, as no matter how the MCAS software is updated, it will never change the bad design of the plane with its new bigger and heavier engines which completely change the plane aerodynamic and behaviour.

I am not lobbying for anything. I posted the article so people can make an informed decision about travel. I didn't want to fly Lion when I was there in August but had no choice based on schedule. This article explains their safety record and the fact that the Indonesian crash report cited 9 different factors in the crash. It's a tragedy regardless and should not have happened period.

This is new info? Boeing sold a bunch of garbage planes to a garbage airline? It was a disaster waiting to happen? Really?

My wife and I had sworn off Lion, Batik, and Wings long ago- way before the last tragedy They are a joke. One can justify the using them anyway you want, but the bottom line is supporting them is supporting the worst sort of business ethics. No thanks...not for me.

Just to be clear, I am not defending Lion Air which is, obviously, far from being a role model in aero business. It is not for nothing that EU blacklisted all Indonesian airlines in 2007...
Even if Lion Air was removed from EU’s blacklist in 2016, it kept a poor safety track record. The airline has recorded at least a dozen accidents since 2002!

Australian Government Employees are banned from flying Lion Air and their associated airlines Batik, Wings, Malindo, Lion Bizjet, and Thai Lion.

Lion's parts replacement and servicing is beyond appalling.

I flew them recently, but that was before I found some things out.

I'll never fly them again, even if it means longer or more expensive re-routing (e.g. via Singapore), or missing out on a LOB.

If the public only knew....there are many more than just in the Asia corridor!...most just plain lucky.

Back
Top Bottom