Wish I had a pee valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pee valve tips...

• Leave a long hose on the pee valve so it routes through the waistband of your underpants. Your 'old chap' will be laid vertically and pointing into the pee valve hose, i.e. no kinks.

• Use a quick disconnect which has a valve. This means you can easily kit up into the drysuit having some time previously attaching catheter with the other end of the quick-disconnect

• When getting out of the drysuit, get a bottle of water and take mouthfuls and blow into the pee valve to flush it through. Blow air (from your lungs) through and repeat. There's nothing worse that the smell of stale piss, not to mention the possibility of infection. Have been doing this for years and it never smells, indicating that the flushing is effective.

• Catheters. They must fit. Too small is just as bad as too large.

• "Apeel" medical adhesive remover -- if you're using a sticky catheter such as the Rochester Widebands, this makes removing it a lot less painful. Or just man-up and pull it off!

• A bit of shaving of the forest is prudent. Not a full shave, but a quick trim around the shaft makes rolling the thing on far less painful as the hair sticks.
I would add :

- I prefer ton rinse with a mix of water and white vinegar (50/50). It's a mild disinfectant, nature friendly and cheap. It gives better results according to my own experience.

- Manscaping is indeed a MUST DO, otherwise, you risk very unpleasant suprises.

- Catheters are the big issue here : must fit (choosing the right size is a bother), and donning is not always as easy as you might wish for. You need time and privacy, not always something easy to get. I'd add also that brands are just not the same. The one I used is no longer on the market here, and the replacement I've found use a different size chat and the glue agent is not the same. So far I can't say I'm satisfied. So, don't hesitate to try several models and brands.

My current preference for catheters are Convenes. They're compact, easy to roll on and come off pretty easily. I like that they're in a small plastic cover, so don't take up the room that Rochester/Bard catheters do and fits in the pocket.

I was given some convenes but they were too small. It rolled on OK in the freezing car park of the diving lake. When I got out I discovered the "old chap" had retreated like a tortoise!

eBay's often a good source for Convenes.

Before every dive I neck a 500ml/pint of water as I'm kitting up. OK, if I'm thirsty. At the very least it means I've enough spit to clean the mask and lubricate my dryglove seals.
May want to consider IPO risk and not overly hydrate

May want to consider IPO risk and not overly hydrate
I don’t consider that as much a risk as being under hydrated, especially if preemptively avoiding having a pee during a dive. Am only talking of a 500ml bottle of water.

OP just finished OW, I am not sure the valve is absolutely necessary. But If OP needs one, it is no big deal. DIY or LDS can do it very cheaply.
The OP, @Mr. Ed , lists his age as 67. If he's like most guys that age, he probably pees more frequently than younger guys.

Then again, he could be a horse. Of course.

I don’t consider that as much a risk as being under hydrated, especially if preemptively avoiding having a pee during a dive. Am only talking of a 500ml bottle of water.
Fair enough - just many people are so worried about underhyrdation and potential risks associated with that, that they can overdo it the other way which could also have risks. Just be properly hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom