Wisdom of the Sea - an interesting article in Bangkok Post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Found this in the Outlook section of the Bangkok Post, Monday 17 January 2005:

Wisdom of the Sea

Heeding their ancestral signs helped the Moken people of the Surin islands escape December’s tsunami. Now perhaps their cultural ways will become more respected and revived

Story by Karnjariya Sukrung Photos by Somkid Chaijitvanit

http://www.bangkokpost.com/en/Outlook/17Jan2005_out10.php

this is amazing!

At least they recognised it for what it was rather than take the opportunity to grab the fish floundering around after the water receeded so fast.

There was a story on the BBC about a 10 year old girl who had just done a project on tsunamis and recognised the signs when the waters receeded so rapidly and warned everyone. Thankfully her mother and people around believed her and reacted a similar way to the Moken.

OK - hands up who else would have recognised that as a sign of an impending tsunami before 26th Dec?

Not me - hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Does anyone know exact time it happened? It sounded like its early in the morning so many people were asleep. I guess there was gonna be less loss if it wasnt that early.

In this era where most people are sequestered in large cities and much removed from their ties with nature it is good to read of such stories. The ancient wisdom that came from centuries of living close to nature has saved many cultures. Our detachment from nature has allowed modern, technological societies to do great damage to their environment out of a lack of understanding of our connected-ness.

Although I love the "produce" and diversity of the cities, I prefer to spend my life closer to nature here on Catalina. I can't say I have the accumulated wisdom of the Moken peoples. However I have learned a few things (and chose to buy a home here well out of the flood plain and away from the danger of tsunamis!).

We in the modern technological societies would do well to learn from the ancient cultures... in medicine, in social organization, in contentment.

I am reminded of something I learned several decades ago about the wisdom of science and the wisdom of ancient cultures. I believe it was the evolutionary scientist Ernst Mayr who dispensed it. A scientist studying birds in a remote area of the world (Papua New Guinea?) many years ago felt he had identified all the birds by species. Through communicating with aboriginal peoples there he discovered that the species he had identified actually included a number of distinct types which the native peoples had separated based on observed behavioral and other differences. Their knowledge of the bird's biology and ecology was far greater due to their close contact with them and keen observational skills. Good scientists shouldn't discount such sources of information.

I can offer a less spectacular example. Because I am underwater much of the time, I observe a wider range of behavior than a scientist who may spend a week or a month in our waters. I have observed a number of behaviors that lab-based scientists have not known existed. This is not due to better training or a better mind, just to more direct experience of the ecosystems and species.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom