Volunteer divers needed in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus whatever bodies are leftover will have been finished by fish and other creatures. Most likely you'll get some bones especially once they span the cleanup to PhiPhi and Khao Lak area. You will probably not have flesh by now. So it's a lot less gruesome.
munkispank:
well of course there are- my specific statement was in repsonse to my earlier post which mentioned that the team of divers had been cleaning the reef and recovering bodies- then sprog posted that they were interested in clearing up- but not bodeis. My repsonse is based upon the information I have specifically from the clean up divers based in Phuket and Patong beach whom I am in daily contact with. I was not referring to the open ocean, but wanted to explain to divers who were prepared to volunteer to clean up the reef in these particular areas that they were unlikely to encounter bodies. I think it was importatn to mention this, so divers who were willing to give up their valuable time to help the clean up efforts were not discouraged.

full marks and thanks to all the divers and snorkellers who are volunteering to help clean up. As a note- there was a clean up in Puket Bay on Friday, but it was very poorly attended, and constisted mostly of non-divers. The efforts of divers are sorely needed- please help if you can.

Sunday was a clean up day at Racha Yai Island, one of the most dived spots from Phuket, with lots of shallow reefs. Ideal for beginners and anyone wanting an easy couple of dives. The Calypso boat "Greta" went to Bungalow Bay, full of volunteers, and collected huge amounts of garbage from the shallows, but not much from the main reef which still looked just fine.

I spoke to Khun Pairat Sutthipol (02-298-2590) earlier and got some more info. This weekend, volunteer divers will be working off at Koh Pai and Koh Yoong. A bus will leave Bangkok for Krabi on Friday (reaching Krabi on Saturday morning) from the Ministry of Natural Resources. Free accommodation in Krabi will be arranged at a dorm on a university/college campus but space is limited.

I asked Khun Pairat about next month and he told me that they will definitely need volunteers but do not know the site(s) yet. They are waiting for the survey results from many different locations and will send volunteers to the most badly affected sites. Free (very basic) accommodation will usually be arranged but will NOT be available at all locations - in the cases where free housing cannot be arranged, volunteers will be expected to find/pay for their own living arrangenments. Free Bus transport from Bangkok will be provided, as well as tanks. Volunteers should bring their own diving gear.

Note: this info is re the clean-up mission, NOT the January 19th 2005 “Reef Recovery Project in the Similan” mentioned below.

I received the attached reply, if anyone wants further information.

Please be updated about our Reef Recovery Project in the Similan. WE have very limited space now. There are over 100 diver volunteers to join the project.

Our itinerary is;

Wednesday, Jan 19
Depart from Bangkok – Phuket
10:30 PM Andaman Princes depart from Phuket Deep Seaport

Thursday 20 - Sunday 23
Doing our mission with 3-4 dives per day around Similan Island

Monday, Jan 24
Depart back from Phuket to Bangkok

We are expecting 150 people in this project, 100 from Bangkok and the rest from Phuket. Volunteers do not need to pay expenses in the trip but may donate to “Coral Reef Recovery from Tsunami Fund”

There are a lot of hard coral that have been turned upside down by Tsunami or fallen in the sand and our mission is to turn them back to their place at the right position.

Requirement to join this project are;

1. Must be at least Advance Diver (or equivalent) with good Bouncy Control.
2. Last dive must not be longer than 3 months.
3. Have own full set of equipment with dive computer, weight and belt too. We only provide Tanks. (If possible but not required, please bring lift bag too)
4. Willing dive hard not a sight seeing or fun dive trip.
5. Age 21-60 with good health.

If you confirm that you meet the above requirement, please confirm me back by today with contact telephone number. Then, I will call you back to confirm the booking by Sunday. Furthermore, if you wish to contribute fund to support this project, please send it to

Thai Military Bank, Surawong Branch.
Account name “Coral Reef Recovery from Tsunami”
Saving Account Number 078-2-11327-8

Lastly, we have very limited free sponsored air tickets. If possible, please let me know if you need it or you can travel to Phuket by your own expenses.

Thanks for taking the time to find this out.

Vie:
Volunteers should bring their own diving gear.

Well, that's me out.

I don't have BCD or regs (like the majority of divers in Thailand, I guess), so I can't go down. That's a real shame. Also, you would think that a local diver operation would be willing to help out with gear - after all, it is their livelihood that is being cleared up by volunteers.

spog:
Well, that's me out. I don't have BCD or regs (like the majority of divers in Thailand, I guess), so I can't go down. That's a real shame. Also, you would think that a local diver operation would be willing to help out with gear - after all, it is their livelihood that is being cleared up by volunteers.

I can lend you a set of reg and a BCD, spog—don’t sweat the small stuff.

Vie:
I spoke to Khun Pairat Sutthipol (02-298-2590) earlier and got some more info. This weekend, volunteer divers will be working off at Koh Pai and Koh Yoong. A bus will leave Bangkok for Krabi on Friday (reaching Krabi on Saturday morning) from the Ministry of Natural Resources. Free accommodation in Krabi will be arranged at a dorm on a university/college campus but space is limited.

I asked Khun Pairat about next month and he told me that they will definitely need volunteers but do not know the site(s) yet. They are waiting for the survey results from many different locations and will send volunteers to the most badly affected sites. Free (very basic) accommodation will usually be arranged but will NOT be available at all locations - in the cases where free housing cannot be arranged, volunteers will be expected to find/pay for their own living arrangenments. Free Bus transport from Bangkok will be provided, as well as tanks. Volunteers should bring their own diving gear.

Note: this info is re the clean-up mission, NOT the January 19th 2005 “Reef Recovery Project in the Similan” mentioned below.

I really would like to help out in the clean up missions. I will pay for my own accomodation and transportation to and from Thailand if it's not available. I'm busy until February 5-12, which if I join the cleanup project I'd like to stay for the whole length of time. I have my own gear and recently got my advanced open water. But I'm 18. If all's ok, I'd really appreciate more information and contact info on the cleanup projects. Thanks.

lobbolt:
If all's ok, I'd really appreciate more information and contact info on the cleanup projects. Thanks.

I’ll post more info when I call them again—alternatively, you could call the numbers posted yourself (I’ll try and dig up an e-mail address). The owner of Oceanic (Thailand) is going on the “Reef Recovery Project in the Similan” this Wednesday and I’ll be posting his take on the experience when he gets back.

Vie:
I’ll post more info when I call them again—alternatively, you could call the numbers posted yourself. The owner of Oceanic (Thailand) is going on the Reef Recovery this Wednesday and I’ll be posting his take on the experience when he gets back.
I'll call those numbers you posted and thanks for the info. I'm deciding where to dive over my Chinese New Year break and if I can go on this cleanup it'll be the winner.

lobbolt:
I'll call those numbers you posted and thanks for the info. I'm deciding where to dive over my Chinese New Year break and if I can go on this cleanup it'll be the winner.

Cool—if you hear any additional info, please post in this thread. Hopefully everyone who wants to go help can.

Back
Top Bottom