Volunteer divers needed in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, when you get the chance, i'm sure you'll enjoy to be here in body too....EVenthough there's been damage, the diving here is still very good.

Next week, I'll be heading to Surin which is part of the Similans to do more volunteer cleanups....but so far, I've heard that vis is better & the sea life is as normal as ever....

Vie:
The owner of Oceanic (Thailand) is going on the “Reef Recovery Project in the Similan” this Wednesday and I’ll be posting his take on the experience when he gets back.

Well, I finally spoke (briefly) to Khun Anond Dabanand of Oceanic (Thailand). He said that over a hundred divers participated in "turning over corals and seafans" that were upended by actions associated with the tsunami - disclaimer: I have no idea how helpful or effective the actions taken were to coral health. The divers were based on the Andaman Princess cruise ship and were divided into teams of ten to twelve and allocated an area to work in. The operation was carried out in the Similan Islands, mainly at Island 4 (Ko Mieng) and 8 (Ko Similan), the divers operating from smaller boats which ferried them from the Andaman Princess. Khun Anond also did an initial survey (on an earlier trip) at Island 1 (which had been and is still closed to the public) and found some area of great damage and some pristine area totally unaffected. Khun Anond is an avid underwater videographer and has a lot of footage from the two trip to the Similans.

Here’s my rough translation of the trip itinerary for trips w/ the Ministry of Natural Resources:

9 February 2005 Location: Patong Bay Task: install reef buoy/UW clean up.

12-12 February 2005 Location: Laem Son National Park, Ko Kangkow, Ko Kum Yai/Kum Noi Task: UW clean up.

19-20 February 2005 Location: Similan Islands (Island 8, Island 4, Kuak Bay) Task: UW clean up/coral restoration.

26-27 February 2005 Location: Phra Tong Islands, Kao Ha Yuk (Taplamu), Ko Pa, Hua Krung Point Task: determine possible buoy position(s)/UW clean up.

5-6 March 2005 Location: Phung Nga Bay, Phi Phi Islands Task: UW clean up/coral restoration.

12-13 March 2005 Location: Rok Islands (Ko Rok Nok, Ko Rok Nai) Task: UW clean up/coral restoration.

19-20 March 2005 Location: Ar Dung-Ravee-Tarutao Islands, Ko Gata, Ko Bu Tung, Ko Ravee, Ko Ar Dung Task: UW clean up/coral restoration.

26-27 March 2005 Location: Yao Islands (Ko Yao Noi, Ko Yao Yai) Task: install boat tie buoy/UW clean up.

2-3 April 2005 Location: Ko Racha Task: install boat tie buoy/install boundary buoy/clean up.

9-10 April 2005 Location: Ko Kai Nok, Ko Kai Nai Task: install boat tie buoy/install boundary buoy/clean up.

23-24 April 2005 Location: Ko Phra Tong Task: install boat tie buoy/install boundary buoy/clean up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom