Volunteer divers needed in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just saw this in the Bangkok Post (Outlook 03, Thursday, Jan 13, 2005)
http://www.bangkokpost.com/en/Outlook/13Jan2005_out04.php

Volunteer divers are urgently needed to clear coral formations in the Andaman Sea of tsunami-borne rubbish. By Karnjariya Sukrung. Extract:

Everyday, marine scientists and divers have been hand-picking garbage floating on the surface or descending to extricate items entangled in the coral. To speed up the job, Anuwat Nateewathana (director of Conservation and Rehabilitation of Marine and Coastal Resources) has appealed for volunteer divers to come help on the weekend.

Scuba divers or snorkellers are welcomed - each volunteer is expected to make two one-hour dives each day.

Interested in helping out with the clean-up? Contact Pairat Sutthipol at 02-298-2590 or Paitul Panchaiyapum at 01-537-0047 or visit www.dmcr.go.th

http://www.dmcr.go.th/News_Dmcr/%E0%A1%E7%BA%A2%C2%D0%CA%D6%B9%D2%C1%D4.html

This weekend, volunteer divers will be working off Patong, Kata and Karoen beaches. A bus will leave Bangkok for Phuket on Friday from the Ministry of Natural Resources. Accommodation in Phuket can be arranged but space is limited to 40 people.

spog:
That's a bit short notice. Do you think he will do something the following weekend?

yes, volunteers are needed EVERY weekend until further notice!

Hiya

I had planned a trip to Phuket end Jan before the tsunami struck. Was wondering whether I shld cancel. But with this news, it does look like I might just be able to do something useful while there.

Any idea if there's an English site? Apart fr the news article, the site seems to be in Thai.

Thanks.

You can contact a local organisation in English through this webiste - they have been diving to retrieve bodies, shut off fuel lines from sunken vessels and clear up debris from the reef.
They are also looking for volunteers and funding to help with clean up and restoration. You can email from the site.

www.coralreefinstitute.org

Vie:
yes, volunteers are needed EVERY weekend until further notice!

It's too short notice for me to go this weekend, but I might be interested next week. Do you know any more detaiils? ie do they supply accomodation, transport, gear (BCDs etc) or do we have to pay for that?

I'd like to help out. Not keen on encountering bodies though...

hey Spog- don't worry about bodies- they have all been retrieved now- they just need volunteers for the debris clean up. Aparently they are trying to get government approval to try something which glues the coral back together, that sounds crazy.

mostly they just want to clean up, so that the reef can begin to recover. It hasn't been harmed taht bad, but obviously it doesn't look too nice!

As for the first details from Bangkok- I don't know about them, sorry.

spog:
Do you know any more detaiils? ie do they supply accomodation, transport, gear (BCDs etc) or do we have to pay for that?

According to the newspaper, they will not supply BCDs/regs/mask/fins etc. - only tanks will be provided. Land transport is provided but I have no idea about accommodations. I will call the number and ask and will post the info.

This in today’s Bangkok Post: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14Jan2005_news05.php

Similan reefs need help healing. Extract:

...survey also found plenty of table coral turned upside down and it would die in about a month if left that way.

Therefore, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment was inviting divers to volunteer to help turn it back over. The mission would start this weekend and last until April.

Divers interested in joining the operation could phone 02-975-6198-9 or email: reefrecover@yahoo.com. Donations toward coral rehabilitation could also be made to the Thai Military Bank, Surawong Branch, Account name “Coral Reef Recovery from Tsunami”, Savings Account Number 078-2-11327-8, according to Sita Devar, the Thai Prime Minister’s deputy secretary-general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom