Volunteer divers needed in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1:
...."vittayen muttamara" <reefrecover@yahoo.com>.....

I spoke to him already. Apparently the trip out this weekend is well staffed already.

He did mention that he should have other volunteer needs for divers later too, so keep in touch w/ him.

Just curious, has anyone done the trip down via Bus from Bangkok? How was the bus ride so that we know what to bring to make the journey more comfy......I'm sure it's an overnight ride for 8-12 hours, so any tips to make it more bearable would be good.

These are the usual problems w/ bus travel, how was it on these buses?

- Very cold air-cond?
- Chairs only recline so much?
- Pillows?
- Crowded?
- TV/VCDs playing?

oops...double post

This in today’s Bangkok Post:

Volunteer divers who flocked to the Similan islands to help coral overturned by the tsunamis have found they arrived either too late or that righting them has done more harm than good.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Jan2005_news09.php

Vie:
I spoke to Khun Pairat Sutthipol (02-298-2590) earlier and got some more info. This weekend, volunteer divers will be working off at Koh Pai and Koh Yoong. A bus will leave Bangkok for Krabi on Friday (reaching Krabi on Saturday morning) from the Ministry of Natural Resources. Free accommodation in Krabi will be arranged at a dorm on a university/college campus but space is limited.

I asked Khun Pairat about next month and he told me that they will definitely need volunteers but do not know the site(s) yet. They are waiting for the survey results from many different locations and will send volunteers to the most badly affected sites. Free (very basic) accommodation will usually be arranged but will NOT be available at all locations - in the cases where free housing cannot be arranged, volunteers will be expected to find/pay for their own living arrangenments. Free Bus transport from Bangkok will be provided, as well as tanks. Volunteers should bring their own diving gear.

Note: this info is re the clean-up mission, NOT the January 19th 2005 “Reef Recovery Project in the Similan” mentioned below.
Forgot to ask, when's a good time to call Mr. Sutthipol?

lobbolt:
Forgot to ask, when's a good time to call Mr. Sutthipol?

9 am - 4pm Thai time. Please, please post any additional info if you talk to Khun Sutthipol—thanks!

lobbolt:
for some reason I couldn't get connected. does he have a email address?

Don’t know. I’ll call him again and ask.

As 1 of the volunteers, we spent this weekend (Jan 21-23) w/ staff, scientists, & other volunteers out near Krabi/Phi Phi. Travelling by bus on Friday & Sunday night, & the rest of the time, gearing up, taking briefings & turning over lots of broken corel from the reefs.

I would like to commend the Ministry of Natural Resources, Khun Pairat Sutthipol, and all the people who helped in this cleanup. In all, it was a very very well organized cleanup and I'm sure no small task to co-ordinate almost 80 volunteers, many more staff, their transportation, accomodation & meals, and dozens of large and small sea vessels to carry out the cleanup.

I would also like to thank them for the opportunity for me to join the group, help & report on this cleanup....Alex

=====================================================
The following pics are dedicated to the volunteers & staff who organized & helped w/ the damaged reefs and garbage in our Thai oceans.....

Fantastic picture, thanks for posting, and thanks for beign part of the clean up effort.

I was with you guys in spirit if not in body :(

Back
Top Bottom