Wisdom of knife on inflator hose...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do you carry a knife on your inflator hose? Think it's a good idea?

I was using my knife, which I carry on my inflator hose, the other day. It's a small knife (Remora) designed to be carried there. When putting it back in the sheath, it occurred to me that a slip could cause the knife to cut the inflator hose easily. It's also pretty close to some major body parts. Miss the sheath and it's pretty close to the neck.

I'm now reconsidering the location.
What do you think?

I guess it all depends on how violently you return the knife in to the sheath. Slow and easy should not create any problems. Of course if you often thrust sharp metal objects toward your neck..Can I have your gear....lol :D

Fortunately, most of the small knives have blunt points and unless maintained and sharpened regularly don't pose much of a danger to the inflator hose.

I keep my Remora centerlined on my harness waist strap. That way it's always in the same position and I can reach it with either hand..
I wouldn't be all that comfortable with it on the inflator hose.

I have had mine on my inflator hose for about ten years, never been a problem, although i have to admit i have only taken it out 2 or 3 times

Small shears on right shoulder strap, very small, blunt knife on waist belt, can reach both with either hand.

A SEAL friend of mine once told me that their policy was to drop the knife after they used it instead of returning it. I guess that's OK if the Navy is buying your equipment but I have to supply my own knife.

A SEAL friend of mine once told me that their policy was to drop the knife after they used it instead of returning it. I guess that's OK if the Navy is buying your equipment but I have to supply my own knife.

Of course a Navy Seal would do that, the knife probably still had a body stuck to it!:eyebrow:

For me, kind of old school, I do have a large knife strapped to the inside of my leg.

remora on 2 inch webbing above weight release shears in pocket under remora line cutter on right outer cumberbun and dive tool on upper right thigh

remora on 2 inch webbing above weight release shears in pocket under remora line cutter on right outer cumberbun and dive tool on upper right thigh

Holy moley ... are you a dive assassin??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom