Wire cutters plus folding knife? Where/how to secure cutters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been wondering about this; considering putting a folding knife in the BC pocket and keeping a wire cutter on the BC strap or waist.

But wondering how to secure the wire cutters. Section of bicycle innertube?

My first OW dive weekend we came upon some fishing line in the coral. I didn't have anything to cut with but the instructor had one of those knife/shears combo tools.

I observed that it was a bit of a pita for him to cut the line out.

Which is where the wire cutter idea comes in as I found a mid size one to easily cut tie wraps and clothes hanger wire. So I figure it'll handle any line including leader line, plus the benefit of the cutting method; no need to create a loop in anything, just start snipping away, one handed even.

The folding knife would be for rope, though possibly a large enough set of jaws could get thru rope in a set number of snips anyway.

Last edited:
I would probably not suggest a folding knife, as a little bit of corrosion, and you may not be able to open it when you need it, but a non-folding knife will still cut if corroded.

I would suggest a knife in a sheath that is can be threaded onto your BC waist strap. This puts the knife within easy reach of both hands, and there are no cumbersome zippers to deal with on BC pockets.

Also, if your OW is PADI, I don't believe students are allowed to carry cutting tools, but all instructors, assistant instructors and divemasters are required to carry cutting tools.

They make Gear Keepers for that very reason. The are little retractors, so when you are not using them they are up close and dont dangle. When you are ready to use them you just grab the wire cutters and pull them, the cable comes out and when you are done let go and they go back. We have them in stock if you would like me to send you one. They are a great assesory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom