Winter diving in sacramento

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txbrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver (4 logged) and am planning a trip to Sacramento, CA this winter. An old buddy of mine and I would like to do a day after Christmas dive (preferably without freezing to death, or killing ourselves).

We both currently own 5 mil Farmer John's.

Where would be the most suitable place to dive?

Thanks!
Brent

First, any diving in this part of California will probably required a farmer John 6 mm wetsuit or dry. Monterey would be my choice. The water will be 50 to 55 degrees. Lake Tahoe will probably be frozen over by then!

You can rent a 7mm farmer john wetsuit at any dive store in Monterey. My recommendation is Aquarius Dive Shop on Del Monte Avenue in Monterey.

http://www.aquariusdivers.com/

You can rent tanks, B/Cs, weight belts, hoods, gloves, boots, and regs there as well.

It is always best to bring your own fins, mask, snorkel, boots, gloves, hood, and dive computer whenever you travel.

December in Monterey is like springtime anywhere else. You will love it.

Hi Brent,

Why in the world are you coming out there to Sacramento? No one comes here.

Well, in winter... and actually in summer as well... our choices in Sacramento are limited. The best place, as has been mentioned, is go take a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive down to Monterey. There are some easy shore dives that would fit someone of your experience.

If you don't want to dive, then you are talking about Folsom Lake, which is much closer, but not much to see. I dove in it last January and water temps were in the 40's so you need something thicker than a 5mil.

If you are still interested, just PM me and I'll see what I can arrange for you in terms of renting a suit, etc.

Tony

Let's see,

3 replies - 3 vote for Monterey, 3 tell me to ditch the 5 mil suit. I'm getting the message.

Monterey sounds awesome. Always wanted to dive there. Just didn't know if I was getting in over my head (pun intended).

Bummer with the suit. I recently bought it thinking 5 mil would be perfect for 50 degree water. Looks like that was naive. So how cold can I go with my "Florida wet suit"?

Here's a link for the breakwater in Monterey:

http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnmay01/mont5.htm

This is where most open water courses are conducted so it would be good for you. Also, there is a dive shop right there and if you go on the weekend, there will be about a million divers around to ask about conditions, etc.

Don't know about the 5 mil suit, I dive dry now.

Tony

If your diving midweek, you should try and get into Point Lobos.

It is a truly spectacular shore dive.

Surface swims a bit on the long side though.

TXBRENT

It is not how cold it is how long you wnat to stay down. a 5mm in 50 degree water will be good (for me) for about 3 minutes.

Very few in Florida wear a 5 mm (3 mm is more common). A 5 mm might be a good choice at Ginnie Springs (temp is 72 degrees).

Thanks all for the info. I haven't gotten this much advice since I met my father-in-law!

We'll have to check out The Breakwater in Monteray - looks perfect. If you see two popsicles out there on Dec 26, its probably us.

Maybe I'll do a 2 minute "warm-up" dive with the 5 mil suit. At least then I can tell my wife I used it (i.e. justify purchase).

txbrent once bubbled...
Let's see,

3 replies - 3 vote for Monterey, 3 tell me to ditch the 5 mil suit. I'm getting the message.

Monterey sounds awesome. Always wanted to dive there. Just didn't know if I was getting in over my head (pun intended).

Bummer with the suit. I recently bought it thinking 5 mil would be perfect for 50 degree water. Looks like that was naive. So how cold can I go with my "Florida wet suit"?

I'll make it 4 for 4.

Bring your computer fins, mask, and towel, and rent the rest there.

Several dive shops...Monterey Bay Dive Center, Aquarius (two of them, under different ownership[don't ask]), Bamboo Reef.

Pt. Lobos is some very fine diving.

My Dec. trip is going to be to San Diego. I hope to dive the exterior of two of the wrecks they have there, with my 14 yr old Son. If we don't end up leaving for SD until the 27th, I'd probably be able to dive with you on the 26th, if you want company.

Back
Top Bottom