Winter Diving in Georgia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Hey, Guys !!!!
Let's plan on meeting up around 11 a.m. on New Year's Day.
I'll be wearing a 6.5 FJ/J and hood, of course.
I'll have the old motorcoach there so we'll have some hot coffee when we get out.
Anyone need for me to pick up breathing gas?

Hrmmm -- pending I don't leave town -- maybe I will join you guys! Except I will be the warm one -- in the DRYSUIT!!! (-;

Kimber

Kim,
Be looking forward to it.
Do you know how to get there???

From Locust Grove it is around an hour (without traffic). I'm thinking about getting a 7mm by the 1st but if not I will come out to "meet & Greet" with you guys/gals.

Jeremy

The Kraken:
KimBER ,
Be looking forward to it.
Do you know how to get there???
No I don't .. maybe you can PM directions to me from 85 and Pleasant Hill??

Thanks!

KIMBER!!

The Kraken:
Hey, Guys !!!!
Let's plan on meeting up around 11 a.m. on New Year's Day.
I'll be wearing a 6.5 FJ/J and hood, of course.
I'll have the old motorcoach there so we'll have some hot coffee when we get out.
Anyone need for me to pick up breathing gas?

Sounds good me to me. What is the plan for the day? We just going to do one long dive and then call it quits or try to get in 2 dives or more? What profile are we going to be running? how deep for how long? Just trying to square away my gearset of what to bring out to the lake and how many cylinders. Would be great for you to come on out Kim.

Jeremy: I went diving with Quetzal last weekend and he wore a 5mm and a hood down to around 48F water. He said he was fine. Might be able to come on out with a 5mm if you want. You could also rent a wetsuit from just about any shop around town if you didn't already have one. Could rent a drysuit as well.

Would be nice to get a headcount of everyone who is definately coming out. I will definately be there ready to dive at 11.

Matt

I didn't even think about renting. I associate suit rentals with vacation for some reason. I'll check into that. Sounds like I might just get wet on New Years with you all. Meeting at 11:00 at West Bank Park? I'll be there.

Jeremy

Corigan,
I think it would be best to plan for just one dive, sorry, because we don't know what the ambient weather is going to be and it would be difficult, at best, to try to acommodate for a warm environment during the SI.

Let's plan on making our bottom 40'. This will incorporate a dive to the platform. It would be helpful if we could get some current info on water temp that day in order to establish a dive time. I would hazard a guesstimate that we should probably limit it to 30 minutes given the average temperature of the water at that depth and lack of knowledge of the exposure protection that everyone will be wearing.

I'll have an asset there which will help reduce any problem with hypothermia and also provide a warm up point for anyone considering a second dive.

Kiimber,
I'll post the directions here just in case anyone else may meander into this thread and decide to join us.
From I-85 and Pleasant Hill:
Take I-85 north to I-985
Take I-985 north to GA Hwy 20
Exit on GA Hwy 20 west bound
Continue on GA Hwy 20 west bound to the intersection of Buford Dam Road and GA Hwy 20
Turn right onto Buford Dam Rd.
Continue on Buford Dam Rd. untill you cross the dam.
West Bank Park will be on your right shortly after you cross the dam.
Enter West Bank Park. The road is one way. Continue around until you see a bunch of divers.

Sounds good The Kraken, I would like to get a bearing on the platform anyways. I am going to bring out a second tank with me just incase anybody is crazy like me then.. <wink wink>. If I have to I'll jump in my car in a wetsuit as well to stay warm during the SI I will. Not to try to jinx us, but right now on weather.com they are showing 59 degrees for the high on the 30th. If it is 50 degrees or plus during the SI, I can stay warm outside in my 7mil, heh.

Matt

Don't sweat your car, I'll have my old 28' motorcoach there, with some hot coffee inside!!!

How was Lanier?? I'm curious about Lanier and also Lake Burton. Anybody ever dove Lake Eufala south of Columbus Ga?

Back
Top Bottom