winter diving frequency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm curious how often everyone here goes diving during the winter? I guess anytime from December thru March or so? I haven't gone thru a winter here yet so I'm not sure when winter really starts or ends. Where I'm from (Monterey) the best diving was usually during winter between storms. We got the best viz (40'-70') in the winter since the algae was down as long as sediment wasn't stirred up. Is it the same here in MA/New England? Also, does anyone keep going after lobsters, scallops or fish during the winter?

I spent 3 years on Cape Cod and a few years later almost 4 in Rhode Island. We dove year round when it wasn't storming.

-Adrian

Ditto in NJ. We've had to shovel off the deck on several occasions.

I try and dive year round here in Mass. Usually it slows down a bit, but I try and get out when I can. There isn't much around as far as lobster, but I love scalloping in the winter since in Boston (where I mainly scallop) there isn't as much boat traffic overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lobstering will pitter out by the end of Dec. Really on sea life to speak of But if the water is calm for a number of days [no north wind] Cape Ann vis can be Stellar

Thanks guys.

So Porgy- do you mean that there really isn't much sea life around during the winter? Including fish etc?

The chief concern for winter diving isn't the lack of sealife as there is typically better visibility and different types of sealife than found during the warmer months and the sites are uncrowded and wide open. The concern is that it is often that 2 out of 3 dives are cancelled because of weather issues and /or equipment issues.

I agree with the scallop posters. This is a great time for scalloping provided you have proper exposure gear. If I can get my boat shoveled out and the seas look calm enough, Winter can be incredible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom