WINGS...whats wrong with diverite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both an OxyCheg #30 and a Venture wing and in water they are pretty much identical in performance.

Ben,

The RecWing and Venture both are somewhat rectangular in shape. What I didn't realize is that the Venture's bladder was continuous and not an upside down U like the RecWing.

I just bought a DR Venture wing and coupled it with a DR SS BP with a hogarthian harness, which I dove for week in Grand Cayman in the beginning of December. The wing performed very well and I was very happy with the buoyancy characteristic at depth and at the surface.

For my personal taste I am going to replace the quick dump in the shoulder with a fixed elbow ($7 bucks) and a little shorter lpi hose. Most of my diving off of NJ I wear doubles and use the DR Classic wing with a fixed elbow, so that is the real reason I am replacing it. It's what I am used to, I don't use the pull dump, so no need for it.

The inner bladder is also 17 ml, so it is pretty hearty and I like being able to repair easily and not have a bunch of globs of aquaseal all over the place.

BTW - the new DR SS BP is slotted for cam bands for the tank, so no need for a STA.

Jeff

Thanks for all of the opinons and comments on dive rite and the venture wing. It's good to know that people have a favorable opinion of this company and those who have used the venture wing are happy with it. Since it is the brand the local shop has here, it makes it very convenient for me. Went in to look at the plate and harness yesterday and the owner was really pushing the transpac, but I don't see any need for it.

ss

h2whoa once bubbled...
The RecWing and Venture both are somewhat rectangular in shape. What I didn't realize is that the Venture's bladder was continuous and not an upside down U like the RecWing.

The actual shape is different too, there is a smooth "linear" increase in volume from the top to the bottom of the Venture, whereas the Rec increases greatly just below the top and then slightly increases towards the bottom (you'll see what I mean when you compare them side-by-side).

Also the Venture has no bungies, opposed to the Rec which does.

Ben

japan-diver once bubbled...
I have both an OxyCheg #30 and a Venture wing and in water they are pretty much identical in performance.

How do they compare in size ? The Venture wing looks like the Travel wing with a beefier outer cover. I know the Travel wing is several inches shorter and narrower than the Oxycheq.

I dive he transpac II with the Rec wing. It is a great setup. A lot of other diver's are using DR wings and enjoy them.

Dive Rite is a well recognized and respected company. Naturally, different poeple have different opinions. That's what keeping everything interesting.

Ari

I dive a DR TransPlate with Rec Wing and STA. I love the performance. Although the BP has slots I find the STA holds the cylinder (I use E119 and LP95's) more rigidly ... and it feels more natural and comfortable.

I'm wondering why those of you who comment on the "bungee" find it so objectionable. Given the design it's neither a snag hazard nor does it trap air (the usual excuses I see for such things). It runs thru gussets on the inside of the wing. Besides that, it's easily removed if you don't want it.

I've put about 130 dives on mine so far (about four months of diving) and haven't had any complaints about the performance of the rig.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom