WINGS...whats wrong with diverite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SS1970

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have only been diving for a couple of years and only been watching this forum for a short time...but from what I have been reading I know that I want to give the bp and wings combination a try. I have been looking around my area, and a local "tech type" dive shop deals with diverite stuff.

I know that they have a new venture wing, but don't know anyting about it. In fact, most of the post's on this board praise halycon or oxycheq wings (oms doesn't seem to be viewed well either). I am not interested in the transpac or padded harnests, I want to try the wings (no more than 30 lb lift ) on a ss backplate.

I prefer to dive in warm tropical waters, but only get to do that 3-4 times per year. The rest of my diving is in cold lakes and quarries (which I have been neglecting recently). I really would like an honest opinion...are diverite wings really that bad? Are the halcyon and oxycheq wings really that much better? It would be nice to get the gear locally, but your opinions will be valued. If you are against diverite wings, give examples.

Thanks,
stephen

SS1970 once bubbled...
I really would like an honest opinion...are diverite wings really that bad? Are the halcyon and oxycheq wings really that much better? It would be nice to get the gear locally, but your opinions will be valued. If you are against diverite wings, give examples.

Thanks,
stephen

The biggest problem (and its not that much of a problem) is that the Venture wings are quite new and there probably not that many people that own/used them.

Some of the DR wings have bungies. The bungies are out of style with some diving philosophies.

The new DR single tank wings are rather new. I think that DR may have missed the boat with them a little. The excess demand for the Pioneers was sucked up by OxyCheq.

Or maybe not :)

Peter

That may be true, but the new Venture wings are probably geared more as competition for the Eclipse (inner bladder/outer shell) than the Pioneer/Oxycheq (single bladder/shell) I suppose it all comes down to preference. Personally, a inner bladder/outer shell wing (DR Classic) has worked great for doubles, so I went that route when I bought my singles wing (Venture).

Ben

IMO, a wing is a wing, is a wing. I own a Halcyon and I swear by their products... but I honestly don't see anything wrong with other wings (except bungeed ones)... unless they leak... if they leak... it doesn't matter what brand you own.

I love my Pioneer wing. The Eclipse looks great too, but even the 30# looks big on me and I don't see a need for the double shell on single tanks with the way I dive.

DR wings are great... I see a lot of tech divers using them.

As long as the thing doesn't leak... for me, it's good! :lol:

I own both DIve Rite and Oxycheq wings. They are both great wings, no leaks, no other problems. The Venture wing was not out yet when I bought my Oxycheq wing. However, I still think I would have bought the Oxycheq, just because of the shape of the wing. Oxycheq is coming out with a double bag design (similar to the Eclipse and Venture), however, the materials are going to much more durable. I think I might get one of the new ones when available...

Thanks for all of the replies. So I am figuring that most don't have any real issues with diverite, they just prefer the other brands. I will probably go to the local shop and let them help me with some pool work with the diverite stuff...I just didn't want to go that way only to learn later that the product really is inferior.

On a side note...having looked at pics of these wings, they are all shaped different. Does that have any effect on in water performance? The venture looks bigger at the bottom while the eclipse looks bigger at the top, and the pioneer looks like a perfect oval.

Thanks again for all of the responses, and if anyone does dive a venture or travel wing I would like your opinion on how it performs.

ss

From what I can tell, the Eclipse is shaped the way it is to promote a heads-up orientation on the surface.

Most divers wear the majority of thier ditchable weight around thier waist, the Venture is slightly wider at the bottom to compensate for that.

The 27# Pioneer is perfectly oval, however the 36# Pioneer has bellows on the bottom of the wing.

Ben

I have owned several Dive Rite products. The company is excellent to deal with and stand firmly behind their products. I used to dive with a RecWing with singles and found that it was almost too big for a single. That said, I never had a problem achieving trim, just more wing than I needed.

I have recently purchased an Oxycheq (30#) and can honestly notice a difference based on the oval design. IMO, the oval type design provides better balance. If you can borrow a Halcyon/Oxycheq - sorry folks they seem pretty similar to me try it out and compare it to the Venture. From the pics of the Venture, it looks pretty much like the little brother of the RecWing.

Just my .02 cents worth

Back
Top Bottom