Wing v BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose what I am asking is what to look for in a wing, becuase at the moment I only know they exist, not sure on setup etc, so before buying one wanted to know the advantages over the regular style BCD, which you covered, although they do look heavier to me

An an AL BP is 2 lbs a SS is 6. This is part of your weight requirements. Add a lead filled STA for another 6 lbs and you good to dive (most anyway) warm water without the need of a weight belt.

If it's a BP/W you want, this is the deal of the year, act fast thou. Don't know exactly what you need? Phil will hook you up! Awsome service. Divers selling diver gear. Far more uncommon than one would think....Here!
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=187427

richarddean:
Does anyone have a preference on which they use, are there advantages of one over the other, I use a BCD and have no experience of the wing, so your thoughts will be received with pleasure

thanks

Steel plates have now evolved to the variable weight level, and therefore they have exceed the technology of the integrated B/Cs, both of which now take most of the weight off your belt and put it onto your back. This was not always true for the plates, but now it definitely is.

If you go the backplate route, then you should make sure you also have an aluminum backplate for dive travel, if your steel backplate is heavy. You can then re-weave your webbing through the aluminum plate for the exotic dive trips, and leave the heavier steel plate at home.

Some steel plates are not very heavy, but even so, there is a big difference with an aluminum plate for dive travel versus with steel.

My recommendation is a steel plate for local diving, and an aluminum plate for travel.

The maximum ditchable weight that you would need in most cases is about 10 lbs, and that easily and comfortably fits onto a belt, in addition to your customized weighted modern backplate.

Wildcard:
An an AL BP is 2 lbs a SS is 6. This is part of your weight requirements. Add a lead filled STA for another 6 lbs and you good to dive (most anyway) warm water without the need of a weight belt.

You can now get SS plates that are up to 14 lbs. Add an STA and you are at 15 1/2. Double it, and your plate can be as high as 29 1/2.

There is nothing magical about 6 lbs anymore.

richarddean:
I suppose what I am asking is what to look for in a wing, becuase at the moment I only know they exist, not sure on setup etc, so before buying one wanted to know the advantages over the regular style BCD, which you covered, although they do look heavier to me

There are several different styles of wings. They each have their own way of fitting onto a plate. You can even DIY Zeagle wings to fit onto a plate. They all come in various sizes, from about 25 lbs all the way up to 80 lbs (or more).

richarddean:

What type of diving do you want to do with it?

Head over to the BC forum and ask this question, or better yet, do a search on the BC forum, then stand back when your computer spits out thousands of multi-page threads on this exact topic. If you read them all, you'll be old and gray, and so sick of hearing about any sort of BC that you'll likely never dive again! Usually the threads start off with an innocent question like yours, progress through passionate defenses of each, then degenerate into name calling and pointless arguments.

That said, I dive with a BP/W and I love it, I can't imagine going back to a standard jacket BC. BTW, there's really nothing new to learn in diving with one. The biggest difference is the "trim" or attitude in the water you are likely to assume through moving the weight from your hips to your back. (steel plate only) That should take you about 2-3 minutes in a pool to get used to.

nereas:
You can now get SS plates that are up to 14 lbs. Add an STA and you are at 15 1/2. Double it, and your plate can be as high as 29 1/2.

There is nothing magical about 6 lbs anymore.
Glad you pointed that out. I didnt know about bisquick either....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom