Wing v BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
You forgot that the wing costs several hundred euros/dollars as well. So you would need another one of those too, to do it your way.

It is easier and cheaper and less of a clutter just to keep an aluminum plate handy, and re-thread it with the webbing, D rings, keepers, buckle, and the wing from the steel plate, when you go on vacation to foreign lands.

Why wouldn't you just move your wing from 1 setup to the other? You don't have to remove the harness to remove the wing. Its 5 minutes at most.

nereas:
There is guided-discovery experience, and unguided experience.

Guided discovery is normally always good.

Unguided can be good or bad. Or very bad. Don't forget that too.

An Even better explanation:wink:

i never had a jacket. i upgraded from a back inflate to a bp/w on dive 22, about 3 months after i started.

but i was very lucky because i have great mentors & buddies. that definitely helps.

you don't need two wings to have two plates rigged & ready to go. i've gone back & forth between aluminum & steel several times, depending on weighting needs (wet, dry, singles, doubles, etc). i also don't believe in ditchable weight for ditchable weight's sake, but that's another dead horse.

BSea:
Why wouldn't you just move your wing from 1 setup to the other? You don't have to remove the harness to remove the wing. Its 5 minutes at most.

Some wings need to be woven thru the webbing. Not all wings are the same configuration. Sure, you can change everything eventually. But overall, I think a separate aluminum plate stored away for trips is the best overall solution, if you like the plate configuration, which I do like.

You forgot that the wing costs several hundred euros/dollars as well. So you would need another one of those too, to do it your way.

Why do you say this? I have several plates, each of them with its own harness, and I put whatever wing on the plate is appropriate for the rig I'm diving at the time. I didn't have to buy any extra wings.

TSandM:
Why do you say this? I have several plates, each of them with its own harness, and I put whatever wing on the plate is appropriate for the rig I'm diving at the time. I didn't have to buy any extra wings.

Then you have a great wing. I will probably buy one of those next time, when my current 2 wings wear out finally. My wings need to be woven thru the webbing too.

We've got two different kinds of wings, DSS and Deep Outdoors, and both are easily exchangeable.

TSandM:
We've got two different kinds of wings, DSS and Deep Outdoors, and both are easily exchangeable.

Nice Halloween costume in your avatar. Although your equestrian photos are even more beautiful.

Be careful when you ride, though. Remember what happened to Superman?

The one thing that scuba has taught me about everything is to be even more careful about everything. I now go thru a form of contingency planning process and failure analysis for almost everything, at work, for driving in my car, scuba diving, and everything else.

nereas:
Some wings need to be woven thru the webbing. Not all wings are the same configuration. Sure, you can change everything eventually. But overall, I think a separate aluminum plate stored away for trips is the best overall solution, if you like the plate configuration, which I do like.
What kind of wing do you have. I'm no expert, but I can't recall ever seeing a wing that has to be woven into the harness. At least not one used with a backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom