Wing v BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richarddean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have a preference on which they use, are there advantages of one over the other, I use a BCD and have no experience of the wing, so your thoughts will be received with pleasure

thanks

I am a BP/W diver for 3 reasons:
1)Simplicity
2)Scalability
3)Comfort

1)The BP/W design is based on a simple harness made up of a continuous piece of webbing. It is simple in the sense that it has no useless features on it (think integrated weight pockets, quickie clips that may break, etc.) and hence extremely streamlined. Because it is extremely streamlined and not overloaded, there is less danger of entanglement.

2) It is very scalable. You can have multiple wings depending on what kind of diving you are doing. For example, you can have a Caribbean wing with less lift and a bigger size wing for cold water diving, or you can have a singles and doubles wing. Also, you can add and remove stuff to the harness itself depending on what you need on the dive.

3) Last, but not least is comfort. Since the wing is completely independent of the harness, and is located in the back of it, you don't feel a squeeze with it inflated. In a regular BCD, since it surrounds you (most models anyway), you feel squeezed when it is inflated.

I prefer the BP/W over the jacket style BC because it is more streamlined and more comfortable. The streamlined aspect allows me to move with less effort. The harness firmly holds the BP/W in place, keeping the tank from rolling.

I have a dive buddy who loves to brag on his BC, talking about how much padding it has for his back. My BP/W has no padding, just a stainless plate and it is infanitely more comfortable than any jacket BC I've tried.

I dive with a single aluminum 80 in tropical climate.

It overall a better design, the BP/W that is but it has some downsides for rec diving. It has to be adjusted just so to feel right so for rentals it's a PITA. Most vacation divers have never seen one so they have to relearn a lot. "Wheres my weight belt?"
There is a place for both. New divers and vacation divers that dont own gear are better suited to a conventional BCD. As you move along, the BP/W makes more sense but dont think you should/have to/must buy a BP/W to start with.
I use a BCD for teaching and a BP/W for everything else.

BAck PLATE and wing
Was that not the question you were asking? Maybe it was vest vs back inflate?

richarddean:
Does anyone have a preference on which they use, are there advantages of one over the other, I use a BCD and have no experience of the wing, so your thoughts will be received with pleasure

thanks

Pardon my splitting hairs, but a BP/W and a jacket style device are both BCD's.

Thanks Wildcard, I did mean back plate and wing, was not sure of the terminology

Highdesert I did not say they were not both BCD,s I was asking people there preference from there experience, its a wonder anyone post with people like you responding, always one aint there!

Usualy a few. Now please expand upon your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom