Windy point river channel line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lake was way down last year when we did this. The 30 foot platforms were only in 1 foot of water. We wanted to take advantage of the shallower depths and begin the installation. Our schedules didn't allow us to continue as we had originally planned, so we haven't added to it since then. The deepest depth we obtained while laying the line was 134'. It was a chilly 57 degrees F at depth and much, much, much warmer while on the deco stops!!!!

FIXXERVI6:
Where there any estimations on bottom time/deco/gas estimates to do the traverse?

With our without a scooter? My original plan was to do it as a swim and pretend it was a hard overhead (i.e. a cave). It appeared that swimming, the bottom time (i.e. in the river bed) would be about 15-20 minutes with a very slow assent on the other side.

Deco would be pretty severe (1.5 hours plus). I hadn't got to the point where I had simulated it, but I do have topo maps of the lake area so I have a good guess at the profile... By the time we actually go to doing the traverse we would have a bunch of experience from putting in the lines to know the profile, and where to put safety bottles.

My plan was/is to stage bottles on the far side of the lake along the line to continue the deco on the way up. We would also have a surface chase boat following the divers bubbles in case an emergency assent in open water was needed. I also wanted to have at least a few other divers hit the water on the other end and head the other direction as safety divers.

mkiiisupra89:
It appeared that swimming, the bottom time (i.e. in the river bed) would be about 15-20 minutes

I think you mistyped....scootering would be closer to that time, but not swimming!

Phreatic Fanatic:
I think you mistyped....scootering would be closer to that time, but not swimming!

Well, the time JUST river bed (at 160') would be 15 - 20 minutes swimming. However, the far side of the river was a river bottom and slopes very gradually to the other shore over 3/4 of a mile. You would wrack up serious deco. Dive time would be close to 3 hours I suspect.

Oh, just the riverbed portion. Now I'm with you. I was thinking the entire bottom phase.

Now fellows I don't have a scooter but-- 'have tow rope, will travel'.

mkiiisupra89:
With our without a scooter? My original plan was to do it as a swim and pretend it was a hard overhead (i.e. a cave). It appeared that swimming, the bottom time (i.e. in the river bed) would be about 15-20 minutes with a very slow assent on the other side.

Deco would be pretty severe (1.5 hours plus). I hadn't got to the point where I had simulated it, but I do have topo maps of the lake area so I have a good guess at the profile... By the time we actually go to doing the traverse we would have a bunch of experience from putting in the lines to know the profile, and where to put safety bottles.

My plan was/is to stage bottles on the far side of the lake along the line to continue the deco on the way up. We would also have a surface chase boat following the divers bubbles in case an emergency assent in open water was needed. I also wanted to have at least a few other divers hit the water on the other end and head the other direction as safety divers.

If you need support divers I would be happy to lend a hand for a traverse in any capacity, I don't have a boat or scooter but I've got bottles, gas, and ability to go places.

My idea is to form a network of lines off the "main" traverse line to be able to explore more of the river channel and then do a "line survey" and lay that over top of the topo and add line from there to check out other spots.

Its the closest thing I can find to a real cave dive in TX.

FIXXERVI6:
If you need support divers I would be happy to lend a hand for a traverse in any capacity, I don't have a boat or scooter but I've got bottles, gas, and ability to go places.

My idea is to form a network of lines off the "main" traverse line to be able to explore more of the river channel and then do a "line survey" and lay that over top of the topo and add line from there to check out other spots.

I had a similar idea in terms of a network of lines. There are a couple other guys that have put in like 5K+ of line at 80' or so along the old river edge starting a the border between the private and public side and that heads away towards the damn. I found it by mistake one day and imagine my surprise when coming down the properly installed, and marked line are 2 divers on Gavin scooters... I exchanged data with them and have since dove there line again. The line is now broken. I attempted to patch it, but couldn't find the other end from the broken end. I'm sure it will get fixed, especially now that it is back at 80' instead of like 30'... In any case, they were doing it for cave practice as well.

I'm all for putting in more line. I think Travis deep is wonderful, but it is VERY easy to get hopelessly lost on the river bed and a compass is just annoying under 160' of narcosis. I want to enjoy the buzz, not have to work around it to find my way back to shore...

There are a few other caves in Texas (diving I mean) but like the well, they are off limits to all or a very few, or are psychotically deep.

NOTE to open water divers: If you aren't a CERTIFIED cave diver and want to dive a cave, post and find an instructor. Don't even consider just doing it yourself. I can put you in contact with great instructors (as can most of the other tech/cave people here) that can teach you to do it safely.

FIXXERVI6:

Oh, and I'd love to have your help. I really need to get organized. Carl and I started it, but our schedules are to disjoint to get very far. Having a real team would make it much more plausible.

texdiveguy:
Now fellows I don't have a scooter but-- 'have tow rope, will travel'.

You're always welcome!

Back
Top Bottom