Windows XP Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
We are having trouble with one of our home computers. I hope someone can help.

The owner of the computer forgot the Windows password. Now the comouter won't let her log onto Windows to remedy the situation.

We tried putting the Windows disc into the disc drive, but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

does it have the "windows fast user switching" turned on. meaning when you turn the computer on does it have a icon and a name to click to log on or do you use ctrl+alt+del to logon?

if it is the icon, when starting up hold down the left shift key when starting up. it should give you a press ctrl+alt+del to begin. use the username administrator, and no password. that may work. if not pm me and I might be able to help you more.

John

Try booting into safe mode and see if the default Admin account shows up at the login screen with her account. There is usually one by default and it doesn't have a password. If it does, login there and then change her accounts password in the control panel.

Good luck

Buck

EDIT: jmani beat me to it! :D

here another quick trick in case it happens to anyone else...remove the interior battery for about 5-10 minutes. This resets the system back to the factory defaults.

All good ideas if you run into this problem, but if someone has changed the administrator password and the problem is not the hardware password (the only thing that taking the battery out fixes) you need a password hacking tool. Lots out there and mostly they are easy to use. Takes me about 2 minutes to break in with one. I used Windows Key the last time I needed to break into a system, but there are lots of others.

Back
Top Bottom