Windows XP: Black Screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will external monitor like ONESPEED suggested work in the instance, or no?

Maybe. Some laptops switch automatically, some don't.

However a bright light is pretty reliable. The screen still shows very faint images if the lamp or lamp driver is dead.

Terry

Maybe. Some laptops switch automatically, some don't.

However a bright light is pretty reliable. The screen still shows very faint images if the lamp or lamp driver is dead.

Terry

If you hook up an external monitor to a laptop, you usually have to switch the display with the FN key and usually the 5 key.

look for a small oval shaped square above the 5 key, then his the FN+the key you found. that will switch it from internal, to external, or both. (all depends on the brand of the laptop and what features it includes).

You said it does power back on, so it might not be completely dead.

If you have any CDs, DVDs, or other types of disks in any of the drives, eject them when it powers on and try starting it again.
No discs in drive at all. I did try inserting the OS disc and power cycling, but nada. And I have had the battery out of all power cycles.
If it made all the right noises and the disk lights up, and the cd drawer opens and closes, it's not dead.

There's a chance you blew the display power supply, which is replaceable for less than $200, which is probably less than your insurance deductible.

Just hold a bright light near the screen, turn the laptop on and look for faint letters and images. If you see stuff, it's a display problem (power supply or lamp). If not, it's something else.

Terry
CD tray opens, but no noise. No deductible on State Farm's PAPolicy. Tried a C4 dive light on the screen; ever shine your light across a large room in a cave dive? Dark!

One friend suggested leaving it unplugged for 24 hours, to make sure there's no charge left in. Alternately, open the case, remove the internal battery, and toggle the CMOS switch off for at least five minutes, then toggle it back on, replace the internal battery, replace the case, and replace the main battery pack. I think leaving it all unplugged for 24 hours would be easier.

I tried my spare power cord: nope! [-]I need to ask about power surges, but[/-] I've never heard about State Farm denying a PAP claim even on flooded dive cameras, which is why I ensure my all of my cameras, O2 & CO analyzers, both dive puters, that laptop, etc. with them - and it's cheaper than DEPP or DAN equipment. Edit: Power Surges Covered! :thumb: But thanks for the heads up.

If I do the claim, I'll put the original HD back into it, move its HD to this laptop to update my back up. I generally back up all documents once or twice a month to an External HD, but as busy as I have been on the farm haven't since July 7. Eh, if I had stored anything important I would have backed up sooner; I may not even bother with that but then it's so easy. My first HD change took a few minutes, but since then - fast.

Last edited:
It powers on, and the CD tray opens, so it's not totally dead. There could be some hope for it.

If it was mine, I'd do what Mike S did and look up possible solutions before I called it beyond hope.

There have been times when I thought my HP laptop wouldn't boot, but I eventually got it working after some research, and it's been fine for a long time now.

Maybe try finding out how to boot it in safe mode and see what happens - hold a certain F key while powering it up - you'll have to look online to find out which key it is, different brands use different keys.

If you hook up an external monitor to a laptop, you usually have to switch the display with the FN key and usually the 5 key.

look for a small oval shaped square above the 5 key, then his the FN+the key you found. that will switch it from internal, to external, or both. (all depends on the brand of the laptop and what features it includes).

My Dell automatically interfaced w/ the external monitor (T.V.) so you may not have to go through those steps. I just purchased the necessary cable and used a flatscreen t.v. as a monitor, worked like a charm.

It powers on, and the CD tray opens, so it's not totally dead. There could be some hope for it.

If it was mine, I'd do what Mike S did and look up possible solutions before I called it beyond hope.

There have been times when I thought my HP laptop wouldn't boot, but I eventually got it working after some research, and it's been fine for a long time now.

Maybe try finding out how to boot it in safe mode and see what happens - hold a certain F key while powering it up - you'll have to look online to find out which key it is, different brands use different keys.
If I could fix it for free, great! Don't want to put money into a 5 yo laptop, but then don't want to replace it now either. Claim started tho...

Trying to access recent Documents thru router networking now. Edit: Nope, not found. It's pretty comatose.

0002f3h8

2002-01-15.gif

I think maybe we solved the problem.....and the problem goes by the name FIDO

puppy_laptop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom