Windows XP: Black Screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

86423873_f30a6a44e5.jpg

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

THAT is F-ing hilarious!

Yeup....that'll fry it and the monitor to black out.
Nah, I changed the key pad once. All one piece. But the remover does help...!

:lol:

Nah, I changed the key pad once. All one piece. But the remover does help...!

I had to change the keyboard on my Dell laptop a few years ago. pour'd a whole cup of coffee into the laptop.

turned if off quickly, jerked the battery out, picked it up and drained all the coffee out of it. :rofl3:

Only thing it killed was a few keys on the keyboard. (Dell replaced under service contract. )

No "Urine off" required. but it did have that nice coffee smell for a few weeks. :D

Hey Don, I offer remote backup as one of my online services, it's cheap and effective. Actually, if anyone is interested feel free to PM me. Very simple to use and can backup open files (email, documents, etc). It's a 'set it and forget it' style program. You can setup schedules, limit bandwidth usage, get reports emailed to you, and setup multiple backup jobs to run at once.

And the most important thing, it's totally secure. The data is encrypted using 448bit encryption on the client side, then transmitted to our servers over a 256bit SSL connection. The only way it can be decrypted is by the password you enter when you create the backup profile. Even the folder and filenames are garbled on our servers.

You can also do multiple full backups and incremental backups (based on changed files only) and setting up retention time for deleted files is a simple process. Our main backup server is running raid 5 and our replication server is running raid 1. Both are monitored 24/7.

At this point we are trusted by the following client types: Lawyers, Doctors, Medical Warehouses, Truck Lines, and many personal accounts.

Sorry for the plug, but someone has to do it! =)

If I do the claim, I'll put the original HD back into it, move its HD to this laptop to update my back up. I generally back up all documents once or twice a month to an External HD, but as busy as I have been on the farm haven't since July 7. Eh, if I had stored anything important I would have backed up sooner; I may not even bother with that but then it's so easy. My first HD change took a few minutes, but since then - fast.

Don,

they may not let you keep it. About 1/2 the time, I had to send the bad computer to the main office for salvage. I have no idea why. Ask the adjuster what the salvage value is, if he says nothing, then ask if you can keep the computer.

Also, something I forgot before, some policies have data retrieval included in the coverage. If that is the case, you can have a tech take all the data off the old hard drive and have them put it on the new computer.

Froid

Wow that's the easiest claim I've ever filed...
1: Called Jo Jo at the office, told her briefly what happened as in post 1, and she sent in an email.

2: Less than 6 hours later, a pleasant agent called to tell me where to send the repair extimate so he can send me a check for the full $1,000 covered, no deductible.

3: Still need to take it to a local puter geek for the estimate but with the story, I bet he doesn't even open it up.

4: Run the estimate down the street to Jo Jo to fax in.​
Anyone who has a laptop, camera, analyzer, dive computer, etc without this cheap policy is probly paying too much or risking too much. I think I was paying $13/year to insure the laptop against all risks.
Hey Don, I offer remote backup as one of my online services, it's cheap and effective. Actually, if anyone is interested feel free to PM me. Very simple to use and can backup open files (email, documents, etc). It's a 'set it and forget it' style program. You can setup schedules, limit bandwidth usage, get reports emailed to you, and setup multiple backup jobs to run at once.
Sounds good. Why not offer your services in Market Place forum and link that thread here. I do good with the Ext HD usually, but the services sounds appealing
Don,

they may not let you keep it. About 1/2 the time, I had to send the bad computer to the main office for salvage. I have no idea why. Ask the adjuster what the salvage value is, if he says nothing, then ask if you can keep the computer.

Also, something I forgot before, some policies have data retrieval included in the coverage. If that is the case, you can have a tech take all the data off the old hard drive and have them put it on the new computer.

Froid
Yeah, I thot they'd want it back so I was going to put the original HD back into it and the large HD with recent documents into this backup laptop - but they don't want it. I'll still put the damaged puter HD in here sometime. I have two power cords; wonder if they'll Ebay? Probly too old, but maybe...

we shouldn't discriminate against our brothers who can't see.

so, did you know that they make Playboy in Braille?

86423873_f30a6a44e5.jpg

It is a shame that the visually handicapped are discriminated against. :shakehead: Always felt that there should be Gentleman's clubs with braille exotic dancers just for the blind! :shades::D

It is a shame that the visually handicapped are discriminated against. :shakehead: Always felt that there should be Gentleman's clubs with braille exotic dancers just for the blind! :shades::D
They exist: brothels.

I wonder if the geeks could possible repair this puter for $1,000?

They exist: brothels.

I wonder if the geeks could possible repair this puter for $1,000?

Things you might want to ask yourself:

If they repair it for $1k or less, will the policy cover any future instances?

If it is repaired, how long before something else might break on it?

Is it a better value for you to just recover whatever info you can and replace it with something newer?

Back
Top Bottom