Windows XP: Black Screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I think I am looking at an insurance claim here, but thot I'd ask first....?

The electricity went off during a thunderstomm this morning. I would have had the computer off for safety, but on radar it looked like it was going around me. Haha, it might have, but if hit the lines hard enough to knock power off for a few seconds.

My HP Laptop went off as the battery seems shot, and now when it powers back on: Black Screen! No flashing of anything before black, no nothing, just sits there with this dumb look.

I suspect I'm fried; what do you think? I did have this puter on my Personal Articles Policy in part for travels so I can start the claim when I want to if needed - and see how good that policy really is.

Good luck Don. Doesn't sound too promising.

Last winters big storm resulted in huge power spike/surge, when power came back 4 days later. I had just turned mains back on to check for power. Actually melted two surge protectors, fried transformers in the furnace and JennAire stove, as well as several unprotected TV's, VCR's and a clock radio. Insurance covered two transformers, but I ate the rest!
Lightning strike is a lot more powerful than that little spike!

I think I am looking at an insurance claim here, but thot I'd ask first....?

The electricity went off during a thunderstomm this morning. I would have had the computer off for safety, but on radar it looked like it was going around me. Haha, it might have, but if hit the lines hard enough to knock power off for a few seconds.

My HP Laptop went off as the battery seems shot, and now when it powers back on: Black Screen! No flashing of anything before black, no nothing, just sits there with this dumb look.

I suspect I'm fried; what do you think? I did have this puter on my Personal Articles Policy in part for travels so I can start the claim when I want to if needed - and see how good that policy really is.

Sounds like you must have downloaded the upgraded version of the "blue screen of death."

On the bright side you can always use it as a paperweight or a mirror. :wink:

Try taking the battery out. Unplugging the power...

Hold the power button down for 10 seconds.

Plug back in... Try again.

Try taking the battery out. Unplugging the power...

Hold the power button down for 10 seconds.

Plug back in... Try again.
Hold the power button down for 10 seconds? Had tried letting it set for a minute with no power, but tried that too now. Nope, but thanks.

Don,

I have never adjusted (Houston but not Lubbuck) in your area but the general rule of thumb on a lightning strike is that it must have occurred on directly on your property. IE it hit your tree, yard, powerline to your house or your house.

Just an FYI, I have denied far more electrical equipment claims than approved. Check with your agent for coverage before filing a claim. Certain Insurance companies with give you a black mark even for a denied claim.

Froid

When you power it back up do you here the POST (Power On Self Test) beep(s)?

Don,

I have never adjusted (Houston but not Lubbuck) in your area but the general rule of thumb on a lightning strike is that it must have occurred on directly on your property. IE it hit your tree, yard, powerline to your house or your house.

Just an FYI, I have denied far more electrical equipment claims than approved. Check with your agent for coverage before filing a claim. Certain Insurance companies with give you a black mark even for a denied claim.

Froid

Any requirements for "reasonable precautions" like having it plugged into a surge protector?

When you power it back up do you here the POST (Power On Self Test) beep(s)?
Nope - nada!

Nope - nada!

Sounds like you're having a craptastic day.

Hope your files and pictures were backed up.

Back
Top Bottom