Wilma... wonderful, just wonderful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it ends up hitting South of here, anyone who wants can come hang out with us.

Colin, Glore's got some pigs available, and I just found out I don't have to go in until immediately after the storm. BBQ time!

Playing the odds I was very lucky to have just came back from two dives on the Speigal Grove. Right in between Rita & Wilma.

It looks like our friends and favorite places in Cozumel will start taking it hard tonight, and on thru the day tomorrow, with Cancun getting it tomorrow... http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?
AT 7 PM CDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE WILMA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 19.1 NORTH... LONGITUDE 85.9 WEST OR ABOUT 120 MILES...
195 KM... SOUTHEAST OF COZUMEL MEXICO.

WILMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 5 MPH... 8 KM/HR... AND
THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF WILMA WILL BE VERY NEAR THE
COASTLINE OF THE YUCATAN BY MIDDAY TOMORROW. HOWEVER...WILMA HAS A
LARGE CIRCULATION AND HURRICANE CONDITIONS WILL BE FELT WELL BEFORE
THE ARRIVAL OF THE CENTER.

REPORTS FROM A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM
SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 150 MPH...240 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. WILMA IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...
AND WILMA COULD REGAIN CATEGORY FIVE STRENGTH AS IT APPROACHES THE
YUCATAN TONIGHT.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 200 MILES...325 KM. NOAA BUOY 42056 RECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED
WINDS OF 69 MPH... 111 KM/HR...WITH A GUST TO 81 MPH... 130 KM/HR.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY THE NOAA AIRCRAFT WAS
923 MB...27.26 INCHES.
Slow moving, regaining strength, rough news. Wishing the best for all affected there.

Florida's experience looks like it's gonna be later, maybe Monday, giving more time there to prepare. Friend of mine who lives east of the big lake O said she went for supplies last night and saw many shortages.

Friday morning...
Cozumel and the northern Yucatan are already with hurricane force winds... and if the forecast is right they will not be out before Sunday morning!
This is terrible, terrible...
Prayers aloft for all our friends in QR.
Rick

UGH! Don!!! We can't have more time to prepare. Folks are already spending money like fiends to get anything possible to be 'prepared'. Lowes and Home Depot and many of the mom-n-pop stores are out of plywood, gas cans, generators, etc... chainsaws are gone... blah blah.. folks just buying to buy.

I've seen more people with super loaded shopping carts full of 'stuff'..... its sad. Either your ready for the game or your not. Either your ready to evacuate or your not.

I've got friends who are leaving tonight to keep reservations in Gainesville.. why? cause the storm was supposed to hit Saturday.. now Monday.. $ wise, thats bad. All this media hype of this monster storm that was moving at NASCAR speed is really screwing things up!

I can't wait till gas stations aren't mugged everytime a new shipment of gas comes in, its quite annoying!

Tick, Tick, Tick

The boat's tied up, the van is packed, reservations have been changed.............

The news is constantly reminding us, we can't tell you what its going to do

If it loses its punch over the yucatan, we'll be lucky. If not, it should be interesting.

Time to kick back and relax

DennisS:
Time to kick back and relax

....or go diving!

We leave in six hours for Rainbow River. Based on the lastest estimates, Wilma won't hit the Western Florida coast until sometime Monday. We'll sneak down, get in some diving, and be outta there by Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom