Wilma... wonderful, just wonderful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just received the latest pic of Wilma....

I'm glad it's not hurricane bam bam...

Ugh.. OK.. the upstairs is boarded up mostly. The last boards go on in the morning so we can have air flow for another night :D

Tools are oiled and sharpened, putting the new chain on the chainsaw tomorrow. It should all work out. We're expecting Cat 2 here, possible surge.

I think we're pretty set here too. Got the parents' house set today (they're out of town), and a few more things, and we're done. Got the hurricane shutters done, and supplys are current.

We're supposed to activate at midnight on Sunday. Offsite backups are done :). And there's fuel in the generator, too.

We're supposed to activate at midnight on Sunday. Offsite backups are done . And there's fuel in the generator, too.
BTW, in case there are any readers who are new to Florida, who recently bought a generator for hurricane preparations, do not run one indoors!! We lost a whole family in Texas to this after H.Rita - carbon monoxide poisoning.

Oh, btw, see Tropical Storm ALPHA: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116325

Oh Joy.

Alpha is not supposed to threaten the US. It should get pushed away by Wilma... Also... when 2 Hurricanes (tropical storms) meet, they weaken rather than combine.

howarde:
Alpha is not supposed to threaten the US. It should get pushed away by Wilma... Also... when 2 Hurricanes (tropical storms) meet, they weaken rather than combine.
Uh, sounds like a good thing to me.

I hate TS Alpha, all these storms and weather is just so stressful.
It's almost like half the year is spent waiting for hurricanes and the other half hoping that you'll dodge them.

As a little aside to show how we're all connected, Hurricane Wila which is/was affecting the Yucatan penisula today damaged some undersea fibre cables.
So I couldn't get online earlier today.

Praying for them all down there.

Soooo.... with all this 'stress' my wife and I got a baby sitter (paw-n-law) and went out on a date! And shopping! And got GAS at a GAS STATION with GAS at a LOWER PRICE than we've paid in months and it had NO LINE! :D

Then we went to a house I'm sitting for 3 weeks to take care of the doggie there and we chilled out and ate ice cream (our own) and watched some TV in peace and quiet and thought nothing of hurricanes or kids!! :)

On the hurricane front, the upper windows are 60% boarded up (the lower are protected by a 4x4 based slat fence), tommorrow it gets boarded 100%... we just wanted the air flow tonight. Speaking of air flow, there is NO BREEZE at all. Totally dead air.

There is very little traffic on the roads. It's like it used to be around here during the summer with almost nobody out... except its the beginning of tourist and snowbird season and until Thursday or so the roads were havoc! No offence, but its nice to have the space again.

My grams is ready to evacuate if needs be. She lives waterside and nearly got flooded by Charlie last year. Her house still is damaged from the winds of Charlie so she's double vulnerable right now.

Winds are supposed to pick up tomorrow... Storm to hit in the dark hours... if I'm not around Monday its cause we lost power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom