Willing to Share?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcosens

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have an exploded diagram / service manual for the old (1970s) US Divers Calypso first stages that they are willing to share? (Calypso IV and/or Calypso VI)

jpg, pdf, doc - even plain old paper works!

I'm on another nostalgia roll - this time for the first reg I ever owned, a Calypso IV.

Pointers to on-line sources appreciated as well.

Paul

I will look through my old service manuals to see if I can find one for you. Give me a couple days.

farrakhan:
I will look through my old service manuals to see if I can find one for you. Give me a couple days.

Thanks - didn't think this would be so hard. 1974 is a LONG time ago . . . .

P

pcosens:
Does anyone have an exploded diagram / service manual for the old (1970s) US Divers Calypso first stages that they are willing to share? (Calypso IV and/or Calypso VI)

jpg, pdf, doc - even plain old paper works!

I'm on another nostalgia roll - this time for the first reg I ever owned, a Calypso IV.

Pointers to on-line sources appreciated as well.

Paul

Just take it apart slowly. It's about as complex as a ball point pen inside.

R..

Diver0001:
Just take it apart slowly. It's about as complex as a ball point pen inside. R..

Yes, but that ball point pen will not tell me the correct intermediate pressure, nor the tolerance range, remediation, etc.

Nor will it tell me the correct O ring sizes (yes, people often substitute "what's on hand" for the correct O ring)

Nor will it tell me the interchangeability of parts across various iterations of the reg - critical if you're trying to revive vintage pieces . . . .

There was a recall on these regs - would be nice to know the correct POST recall part numbers . . . I remember the issue being the 1st stage seat (fairly important in my mind)

So I'm still looking for the manual!

P

pcosens:
Yes, but that ball point pen will not tell me the correct intermediate pressure, nor the tolerance range, remediation, etc.

Nor will it tell me the correct O ring sizes (yes, people often substitute "what's on hand" for the correct O ring)

Nor will it tell me the interchangeability of parts across various iterations of the reg - critical if you're trying to revive vintage pieces . . . .

There was a recall on these regs - would be nice to know the correct POST recall part numbers . . . I remember the issue being the 1st stage seat (fairly important in my mind)

So I'm still looking for the manual!

P

Have you tried these guys:

http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/

R..

Diver0001:
Have you tried these guys: url]http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/[/url] R..

Yup - nothing on the web site, sent email, waiting for reply. There is a USD manual on ebay but the price is going thru the roof . . .

UPDATE - Vintage did reply to email, sadly do not have the parts. Excellent service / response though - wouldn't hesitate to use them for Double Hose needs . . .

So I'm STILL LOOKING for any help . . . .
P

I have been setting my old Calypso--from the late 60s ---at about 120 psi intermediate. I don't have a diagram, I have been taking mine apart since forever and just know it's inards. Regulators are such simple devices anyways.
Most of the vintage scuba suppliers deal with Double Hose regulators, they may have some parts and knowledge of newer fangled single hosers but probably not. Service manuals never gave O rings sizes that I know of. They just had an exploded diagram with the parts numbered and referenced to the part number. Vintage age equipment really stops about 1970 so anything after that is probably not very collectable and maybe diffucult to find parts for. All old single hosers except for the Conshelfs and the MR12s are not easy to find parts for, my experience.
In the 60s when I took up diving the local hardware store had a dive shop in the back corner and a compressor. They carried USD and Voit and Healthways, mostly USD. All the parts where hung on the wall in little bags straight from the factory. Whatever you needed you just picked it off the wall, paid for it and took it home. Everyone repaired their own equipment, heck, we took'em apart in the scuba class in between swimming laps and wind sprints. Good luck, if you find a supply of parts let me know. N

Nemrod:
Good luck, if you find a supply of parts let me know. N

Vintage and Aqualung themselves were a bust. I'll start hitting what's left of the OLD dive shops in my area - bound to be some old floor sweepings somewhere ;-)

I started diving in '74 - just at the intro of horse collar BCs - double hoses were still taught, the Calypso IV was THE hot reg. I don't think I'd use it to inflate my car tires now!

Piston bore is less than 1/4 of my SP MK10 Plus - hard to believe that people dove to 150+FSW with these regs - and survived. You HAD to be a fit diver w/ excellent breathing skills just to survive.

I'll keep everyone posted if I hit a gold mine.

On the "fix your own" issue - we used to always use piston regs (SP MK5s) because you could service them on Saturday night, on site - perhaps after indulging in a few sodas - the diaphragm regs were just TOO complex for those picnic table repair sessions - that, and the parts kept sticking to your foam covered fingers ;-)

Oh, now THAT's politically incorrect!

Paul

. . . now where's my rheumatism medicine . . . .

Back
Top Bottom