Will the USS NY be dive-able in Sept.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Taking the wife and kid to Subic next month and I'm looking at getting a couple dives in... at this point I'm looking at diving with Boardwalk but that's just because I am not familiar with any other ops (gonna be my 1st subic dive/s)... I'm open to other arrangements...

Would the subic locals know if the NY is diveable? I've been wanting to try it out... if I only do 2-3 dives in subic what would be good recommendations? I'm not nitrox certed and will bring my camera

I'll look up the older subic threads later on... but would appreciate some early input

Jag

Last edited:
Hi Shugar,

Yes, the USS New York is now diveable, regardless of US warships docking in Subic Bay. Only the Seian Maru is within the current military exclusion zone, put into effect when US ships (regularly) visit Subic.

For great photography, you should also consider diving the San Quentin (aka 'sunken tin') wreck.... it has the best viz and a great wealth of interesting marine life. I've surveyed over 30 species of nudibranch here, along with 4 species of lionfish, flying gurnard and many cool macro critters and reef fish. There is also many giant clams..and the wreck (very broken down 1800's spanish galleon) is picturesque...

Hi Shugar,

Yes, the USS New York is now diveable, regardless of US warships docking in Subic Bay. Only the Seian Maru is within the current military exclusion zone, put into effect when US ships (regularly) visit Subic.

For great photography, you should also consider diving the San Quentin (aka 'sunken tin') wreck.... it has the best viz and a great wealth of interesting marine life. I've surveyed over 30 species of nudibranch here, along with 4 species of lionfish, flying gurnard and many cool macro critters and reef fish. There is also many giant clams..and the wreck (very broken down 1800's spanish galleon) is picturesque...
thanks andy! NY and the sunken tin sound like a good day's dive...

Jag

Hey Shugar, perhaps you could ask some of the locals about weather conditions in the Philippines during Sept, maybe go over to the Introduce Yourself thread and get to know the regulars...

:mooner:

Dive at Boardwalk Dive Center Official Website - Boardwalk is a great facility to dive with, his DM's Dante and Jason are top notch and come highly recommended. Just a correction as to what Andy mentioned, the "Hellship" Oryoku Maru is also undivable when US Navy and MSC vessels are dooked at Alava pier, for security reasons of course, she rests in only 22M of water just 45 meters from pierside It's a shame because the Oryoku is a fabulously beautiful dive if your lucky enough to chance some descent visibility on her. All the other wrecks are accessible unless the coast guard raises storm signal #1 then your high n dry until the weather clears. Have fun and enjoy the Ney York, shes the only WWI vitage Battle cruiser within recreational diver depths in all of SE Asia.

dove new york and lst 2weeks ago and viz was better than expected
got good vids in new york with viz at around 15+
for uss ny standards thats quite good

my friends dove new york yest
0 to 5 ft viz.
well thats what you get when you dive in a storm in a silty bay thats the outlet of all major rivers in zambales.
told em not to go...
should clear up in a week or so after this LPA

Back
Top Bottom