Will the Halcyon Infinity fit my needs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohecht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,

My name is Oren and I am new to this forum.
I am an SSI AA diver with around 70 logged dives.

I have decided that I will purchase a BCD and Regulator, and would like your assistance.
The Regulator I have chosen is the Scuba Pro MK25/A700 either in normal chrome or the new black tech addition, haven't decided yet.

I do however have a few dilemmas regarding which BCD to buy. I am a recreational diver and plan to be as such for the near future.

At first I thought of buying the Zeagle Stiletto as I like the back inflated design and really like the weight emergency disposal system.
However, I will eventually want to give technical diving a try in a few years and therefore want to buy the equipment once and have it suit me for any future advancements I will have such as tech diving.

At first I thought of an OMS harness and wing with no BP, and in due time I could add a BP and change the wing, resulting in a technical BCD. after quite a few negative feedback on OMS gear quality I abandoned that idea and moved to the Halcyon Infinity system.

My needs from my BCD are:
  1. Tech ready - I want the BCD to be tech ready with minimal adjustment (Besides changing the wing and tank adapters).
  2. Padded back plate - Sometimes I dive with a Lycra shirt and want some padding for my back.
  3. Integrated weight system.

I would like to know if the Infinity is a BCD I could use for all recreational dives and technical dives and won't need to change it and get a new one after a few years.
Or if not, is the Stiletto the one to get.

Thanks a lot!
Oren.

I would like to know if the Infinity is a BCD I could use for all recreational dives and technical dives and won't need to change it and get a new one after a few years.

You will never need to change it out for anything ever again.

I use use the Halcyon rig for everything from 25ft "pretty fishy" dives with an AL80 up to 180ft wreck penetration dives with steel doubles and multiple stage and deco bottles - the only thing I change is the wing.

"One rig to rule them all..."
myprecious1.jpg

My needs from my BCD are:
  1. Tech ready - I want the BCD to be tech ready with minimal adjustment (Besides changing the wing and tank adapters).
  2. Padded back plate - Sometimes I dive with a Lycra shirt and want some padding for my back.
  3. Integrated weight system.

• Tech ready for sure.
  • Note, since it sits flat on your back, you really don't NEED a padded backplate. Even if you're wearing just a lycra shirt. Consider going with Halcyon's MC pack, which will allow you to store a lift bag or SMB.
  • The Halcyon ACB weight sytem works well, plus you will need less weight with 6lbs of backplate

My second time around buying gear I sat down with a tech instructor. We built up a halcyon rig for singles, then when I went to doubles it was so easy to switch. Right now I have a few rigs and that can be mixed and matched based on my needs. it's all gear that works with me as a diver, nothing more nothing less!

Find a quality instructor who not only teaches tech classes but who really does the dives and take him shopping. Pay him $100 for the trip, over time that investment will pay off big time. Replacing gear really starts to add up fast. I was luckily enough to find some of the best and they still help me today.

Let's go shopping for scooters!!! :D

Find a quality instructor who not only teaches tech classes but who really does the dives and take him shopping. Pay him $100 for the trip

Thankfully there are still instructors who don't expect payment for good advice. Paying someone doesn't always get you impartial advice.

My second time around buying gear I sat down with a tech instructor. We built up a halcyon rig for singles, then when I went to doubles it was so easy to switch. Right now I have a few rigs and that can be mixed and matched based on my needs. it's all gear that works with me as a diver, nothing more nothing less!

Find a quality instructor who not only teaches tech classes but who really does the dives and take him shopping. Pay him $100 for the trip, over time that investment will pay off big time. Replacing gear really starts to add up fast. I was luckily enough to find some of the best and they still help me today.

Let's go shopping for scooters!!! :D

Why should I ask an instructor to build a rig? Is there a downside to the Infinity that requires me to consult with an instructor before buying the already made rig. the Infinity?

The Halcyon system will work nicely. It's desighned to be used for Recreational / Tech Diver. WHen it's time to go to doubles only thing you need to buy is a wing. And once your there its very easy to switch back and fourth between wings. The infity system is nice since the Cinch system does help. As for the Added pads they are not really neccessary. I have worn my Eclipse system with just a T-shirt in a pool. On land it's a tad uncomfortable on the sholders (For a whole 1-2 min) in the water not noticable. As for the back I have never had an issue I think thats a misconception a lot of people will make as did I looking at it but it actually is a comfortable BC. But since your getting the deal all together go for it. If you decide later you do not need it you can remove them. Only downside I have heard about the Pads dont know if it's true or not but makes sense is that it takes more weight to sink with them.

As for your regs Depends where your diving. If your planning on only diving in warmer waters temps above 50F those regs should be fine. If you think you will be diving in waters colder I would think about getting a reg thats made for cold water (Scubapro MK17/G250V or Atomic M1) Both regs are great regs and can be used in any environment (Cold/Dirty/Polluted). MK17 is a sealed diagphram so no water enters. The Atomic is a Piston Reg with a Cold water Kit (they put a seal and pack the inside with Tribolube which acts as a water barrier and Anti-freeze.

Really, the only thing you need an instructor for (or might need one for) with a backplate system is to figure out just how tight you want the various straps, and where to put your D-rings so that you can make it easiest to use them. You can work most of that out for yourself over time, but consulting with someone who is used to using the gear can shorten the process.

Really, the only thing you need an instructor for (or might need one for) with a backplate system is to figure out just how tight you want the various straps, and where to put your D-rings so that you can make it easiest to use them. You can work most of that out for yourself over time, but consulting with someone who is used to using the gear can shorten the process.

And a tech-minded instructor can also provide you with the RATIONALE for why certain things are set up the way they are. I find that's valuable - better to know WHY "this D is placed here..." than to simply be told THAT it should be placed in a certain spot. That way you understand the background as well as gain an appreciation for the potential downsides to NOT locating the D-ring in a certain place. (As an example, not just about D-ring placement.)

I have decided that I will purchase a BCD and Regulator, and would like your assistance.
The Regulator I have chosen is the Scuba Pro MK25/A700 either in normal chrome or the new black tech addition, haven't decided yet.

Oren.

Just a note on the regulator. I'm not sure if you've bought it yet, and I'm also not a tech diver (right, so why am I answering :wink:), but when I was regulator shopping I looked at the Scubapro A700 and one thing that I didn't really like about it was that you have to remove four small screws to get the faceplate cover off. I would think that would something a person should be able to do quickly/easily while on a dive. (In fact, I went with a different reg, wherein the face plate cover just comes right off by hand, and I have had a couple of occasions to open it, albeit in my case just on a dive boat.)

A700.png

So, I wonder if that is something you might want to check into since you are wanting your BC to carry you through tech diving.

OTOH, I see Scubapro make it in Black/"Tech" now (but I looked and it still has the four screws :idk:).

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom