Will the Halcyon Infinity fit my needs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for your regs Depends where your diving. If your planning on only diving in warmer waters temps above 50F those regs should be fine. If you think you will be diving in waters colder I would think about getting a reg thats made for cold water (Scubapro MK17/G250V or Atomic M1) Both regs are great regs and can be used in any environment (Cold/Dirty/Polluted). MK17 is a sealed diagphram so no water enters. The Atomic is a Piston Reg with a Cold water Kit (they put a seal and pack the inside with Tribolube which acts as a water barrier and Anti-freeze.

Just a note on the regulator. I'm not sure if you've bought it yet, and I'm also not a tech diver (right, so why am I answering :wink:), but when I was regulator shopping I looked at the Scubapro A700 and one thing that I didn't really like about it was that you have to remove four small screws to get the faceplate cover off. I would think that would something a person should be able to do quickly/easily while on a dive. (In fact, I went with a different reg, wherein the face plate cover just comes right off by hand, and I have had a couple of occasions to open it, albeit in my case just on a dive boat.)

So, I wonder if that is something you might want to check into since you are wanting your BC to carry you through tech diving.

OTOH, I see Scubapro make it in Black/"Tech" now (but I looked and it still has the four screws :idk:).

Blue Sparkle

Regarding the Regs, I don't plan on diving in cold waters, at least not any time soon so I'll pass the MK17 as I understand the MK25 is better.

Regarding the screws, why will I need to open it? I don't plan on servicing it on my own. On what occasions will I need to open it? It might indeed make me get the s600 instead...

Regarding the BCD, thanks guys! I will have a look at a few BP/W setups and see if I could get some advise from a tech instructor and see his recommendations, not necessarily a Infinity system.

All the best!

MK17 Vs MK25 IMO the MK17 is a better 1st stage only because it's more versatile. As for amount of Air each flows on Paper "Scubapro" does rate it slightly higher and they should since they claim to make one of the highest peforming piston regs. I have both MK17/25 as well as G250V and S600. and I have had them hooked up it different combinations again just my opinon But to me the MK17/G250V felt like a better breather and smoother delivery.

So for the MK25 being better than the MK17 I take it as all Hype. When it comes right down to how much either one will flow technically it doesn't matter because there is no second stage out or that I have seen that will even come close to Max of either or any current 1st stages. You could have 2 of the highest performing SP regs and have them free flow at max you will still have plenty left to breath off of. Best thing to do Is to try before you buy you may be surprised. Another thing to look at if your not Stuck on SP look into HOG reg's all the performance as other names 1/2 the cost.

My G/F felt the same way when we were switching these around. She actually dive the MK17/G250V primary with S600 as Back-up since the S600 is a little smaller. Between the S600/G250V they were close the G250V felt slightly better but again we dive in all waters so the G250V better Option. As being compared the A700 I have not had them side by side but did try it out and for me was not my favorite.

Regarding the screws, why will I need to open it? I don't plan on servicing it on my own. On what occasions will I need to open it? It might indeed make me get the s600 instead...

I think more-experienced people will be able to give you a better answer (or more reasons), but I know that one time I started to get a little bit of free flow from my second stage, and even after getting back on the boat (it was just at the end of the dive), it was still flowing, and so the DM and I just spun the cover off and removed the diaphragm to look inside it. He said that it's sometimes possible to get a little bit of sand or some other debris in there, which can make the (not sure of the right term, but) "little fork thing" (oh, maybe it's the "demand lever") stick.

I don't know that I *needed* to take the cover plate off to check it out (perhaps I could have done something else, turned the air on and off, or whatever), but if I were diving with an overhead it just seems like it would be a good idea.

I've also since moved my alternate second stage up near to my neck, so it's less likely to drag in sand or etc. (I like to "bottom feed" :wink:) (i.e. get near the bottom to look under things - not that I actually touch or drag along the bottom; but I think when my alternate was attached differently that it was the lowest hanging fruit)

I also think it might be a requirement (with certain tech agencies?) to have regs that you can open the cover of underwater. I'm not sure that's true, but it might be worth checking into. And if it is true I don't know that bringing along a tiny screwdriver would make them qualify :wink:

That said... comments from real tech divers (vs. a newbie)?

Why should I ask an instructor to build a rig? Is there a downside to the Infinity that requires me to consult with an instructor before buying the already made rig. the Infinity?

Anyone can go out and buy the rig but getting it set up is another story. I have some issues with the infinity system. It has stuff you really don't need but if it gets you into a bp/w then at some point you can remove that extra stuff or have the option to.

First thing that comes to mind is you will never get that system adjusted the same way twice. Having a real pro adjust it and have some stops put in would be the only way to dive that rig. Tank height has some effect on trim. If your not interested in getting in trim then the off the shelf rig will be fine.

My wife tried an infinity after she had only 10 dives. She always had bouyancy and trim issues with rental jacket BCs and after one demo dive for an hour, she had perfect bouyance and trim in 15 feet of water, where it is hardest. She came out and said "I want one of these." It also made a believer out of me.

We are recreational divers, but I would not consider another BC rig. Ended up finding used Eclipse rigs and are adding pads and cinch kits. I do like the pads for when summer comes and I dive "bare" and the cinch is REALLY nice.

For the reg, I would recommend Apeks. I got as XTX 100 and it is fabulous, dry, easy breathing, fully sealed, GREAT hose routing, top of the line in all respects. Same exact performance and design as more expensive Apeks models. If you don't want sealed, I would consider the scubapro S-600. It is very light and a super breather. Much lighter than the A-700.

Thanks for the info, I will try and see if I can get people who own the G250V and/or the A700 and have a go at it and compare them.

Didn't think about the S600 cause I thought that the A700 is its successor.
Is there any real difference between them? Scubapro lists the S600 better than the A700 when it comes to Nitrox. According to the website the S600 supports up to 100% Nitorx where as the A700 only up to 40%. Plus the S600 comes with a sturdy super-flow hose with kevlar lining, Although this will not be the reason I'll buy an A700.

So basically I'm back to square one, don't know which reg should I choose, MK17/G250V, MK25/A700, MK25/S600...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom