Will "Shark Shield" become popular in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
SeaChange Technology in Australia markets two versions of an electronic shark shield, one specifically for scuba divers. They have an interesting website complete with videos of the product in action claiming to fend off Great Whites and Mako's.
Their Website
The item costs $525.00 US out of Australia + any applicable Customs Duties. One of these sold on eBay in May of this year for $283. How many of you believe this product will become popular in the U.S.?

I think one of the problems with this product is that, like many "fail safe" products (like some fishing lures), it is designed to catch people willing to spend their money. I am no expert in shark activity, but if a large shark is commited to giving you a good taste, I don't think the electrical impulse will do much to stop him, considering the momentum of such a large, fast animal. Also consider how many large sharks (especially great whites) are actually in captivity, and available for testing such a device... try none. Considering a lady just got bit, and killed, by a 15 foot White here in California, I would be interested if these things actually worked. I would buy two...
Also, I read a news report of a diver in florida who was killed by a shark attack while wearing one of these shark-shock-devices. The shark bit the person almost in half. As the divers buddy retrieved the body, he kept getting shocked by the shark repellant device. Wish I remembered where I read it.
Lastley, and people will probably beat this to death, but we have more of a chance of being shot by some gang-banger, than by a shark bite (and either would suck...)
:guitar:

IMO, no, it won't catch on. Some people LIKE to see sharks.

No, this product will never catch on because there is no need for such a device.

You may think it is cool to be on the sharks menu i certainly have no desire to be a meal for a shark. So I beleive there will be a need and a want for them. Not all of us have become one with natural. Speak for yourself in the future

:wink:

A scallop diver in Australia was killed last year by a great white while wearing a shark pod - he had it turned off. Apparently that model of the device (I've heard rumours that there are several iterations released) produces an annoying mild shock that lead the divers to wear the device turned off, only to be turned on in the event of sighting a shark.

Saw them in a dive shop in Florida this week (didn't enquire about the price), but the sales dude was saying apparently they scare rays and non-dangerous shark species as well, so for the majority of divers, they would be a hinderance.

Anyone who dives Catalina or the other Channel Islands dives in waters frequented by great whites. So why don't we see them often? Based on the sightings by those I know who have, they just aren't that interested in divers (at least here).

Of course BOTH my underwater video housings were disabled last week so I'm now diving "naked" and I've always said I carry my camera as insurance against great whites coming into view. Now I'll probably have a group swim up to me and ham it up!

Dr. Bill

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
No, this product will never catch on because there is no need for such a device.

I think it is probaly a lot like carrying a handgun for self defense...very politically incorrect, difficult to justify and something you don't need at all....until you need it REAL bad.

It is apparently ok to carry extra or redundant equipment to guard against really long odds mechanical failures when scuba diving, but not ok to guard against top of the food chain predators like bull sharks, tiger sharks and great whites....sort of an act against nature kinda thing maybe?

Personally I think that if you accept that most shark attacks against humans are either mild exploratory bites driven by curiosity (can I eat it?) or cases of being mistaken for natural prey (seals, etc) then a shark pod seems like a really good idea as it may clue the shark into their mistake before they take your leg off making it.

Back
Top Bottom