Will "Shark Shield" become popular in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure everyone on this site tunes into Shark Week on Discovery so everyone should have good understanding of the statistical possibility of being bitten. I can only recall one scuba diving instance of a diver's body being recovered with evidence of shark bites. I think his death was ruled a drowning so even then the shark attack was post mortem.

I'm to lazy to go looking for the stats but I would imagine we are all more likely to drown rather then be eaten by a shark while diving.

But then again what away to go....
:sharky:

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

I think it is probaly a lot like carrying a handgun for self defense...very politically incorrect, difficult to justify and something you don't need at all....until you need it REAL bad.

It is apparently ok to carry extra or redundant equipment to guard against really long odds mechanical failures when scuba diving, but not ok to guard against top of the food chain predators like bull sharks, tiger sharks and great whites....sort of an act against nature kinda thing maybe?

Personally I think that if you accept that most shark attacks against humans are either mild exploratory bites driven by curiosity (can I eat it?) or cases of being mistaken for natural prey (seals, etc) then a shark pod seems like a really good idea as it may clue the shark into their mistake before they take your leg off making it.

Shark attacks are so rare that I don't see how one can justify the expense and hassle of purchasing and using a "Shark Shield". You are much more likely to have some sort of equiptment problem than be attacked by a shark.

You need a handgun a lot more than you need "Shark Shield".

You have to be cautious when quoting stats as they have to be taken in context. It is not always an apples to apples comparison. Everybody who dives is exposed to the risk of drowning as water is involved on every dive, so the number of drownings is numerically higher as everyone who dives takes a finite risk of drowning on every dive. The risk of a diver being attacked by a shark is drastically lower in large part because not every diver dives in waters where sharks are found and even divers who do, often do not encounter sharks, and if they do, they are unlikely to encounter sharks that are prone to attack divers. The numbers are much lower as relatively few divers are at risk on relatively few dives. (Similarly, how bad you need a handgun depends entirely on where you are and who is in the neighborhood with you.)

If I were frequently diving in murky seal infested waters with great whites, I'd consider buying one just in case as the risk of a shark attack would take on a greater degree of relevance to me personally.

My original post was referring to a futuristic shark repellant that would be extremely effective, reasonably priced, and inevitable, technologically, I personally would not use any device I have seen so far zeN

You may think it is cool to be on the sharks menu i certainly have no desire to be a meal for a shark. So I beleive there will be a need and a want for them. Not all of us have become one with natural. Speak for yourself in the future

I WAS speaking for myself. That's kinda what the "IMO" means.
And I don't consider myself to be on the shark's menu.

Funny when I see so many divers discounting this technology, but I don't see any of 'em diving Avila Beach lately:) ~Z

$250?

Go play the lottery with the money you would have spent on one. Better ROI.

1/80 million chance of being bitten by a shark. Think thats what I heard.

There is definitely a need for the product. In fact, I just purchased on off Ebay for $235. I spearfish recreationally and the testing this product went through and the results is enough for me to spend that much for the peace of mind. I go in the water in Northwest Florida about 5 days a week. I go close to shore in generally 10-15 feet water depth. Lately, I've been spotting sharks anywhere from 1 to 4 of those 5 days per week. A few days ago having a 7 foot Bull Shark pass about 10-12 feet in front of me. I don't think there is "normally" concern about the sharks attacking but sharks are deadly creatures with small brains and are unpredictable. There are also a number of reasons they may attack mistaking identity of the target. I don't want to trust that the shark is not going to view me as a threat or mistake me for prey. The range of these devices is just a few meters, so, it would only effect a shark that was too close in my opinion. What I am doing in the water, spearfishing, is one of the worst things you can do around sharks to attract their attention. I don't mind spending the money to have the added peace of mind. The other spearfishers I've spoken with feel the same. However, the device is not complex and would not be difficult to duplicate. Therefore, I think the Manufacturer is simply asking for competition by pricing them as high as they are. A retail of half their current price would keep other companies from trying to market imitations. I haven't seen one yet but it's only a matter of time. The person that was almost bitten in half wearing one in Australia by a White Pointer was determined to be using it incorrectly. He didn't keep the device on the entire time in the water and was trying to move the electrodes too far apart for increased range. Instead it caused the field to dissipate.

I am sure they can't be 100% effective in every situation even if used correctly but if they just cut my chances in half of an attack, I'd be willing to spend the money.

I'm sure most reading this have seen the statistics and do's and don'ts of what puts you at risk in the water. There are just certain water activities that put you in the higher risk category and for those people I think they'll pay for the devices. Surfer's, Bodyboarders, etc. should really consider them too. A foot with a white bottom and tan top in the turbulent watter of a wave would look remarkebly like a mullet or some other fish. I think that's why you hear of surfer's feet getting bitten.

And about statistics....you have to take into account your situation and why you may be higher risk. For example, I saw a report that said you are more likely to be killed by a falling coconut than killed by a shark. Well, there are no coconut palms in this part of FL so that would drastically reduce my chances. I'd say if I see sharks 1-4 times a week in the water and I am in the water with them, and I'm swimming back to shore with a twitching bloody fish, my chances are greatly increased of needing a device like this.

Ok, I'm not to familiar with the Shark Shield, but it seems similar to an older device called the Shark POD.

The pod had 3 parts for a diver, a fin unit, tank, and wrist controller. Each section emitted a strong electric field to protect the diver.

The problem with electric field shark units (at the time that I was researching on one of these units as well) was that it relies on the shark's electric field sensors.

But just like mace is to humans... different species of sharks have different tolerance levels for these electric fields.

The good news is that these units are hell for Great White Sharks. And at the time, it had a 100% success rate against great whites. They simply freaked and swam away from as far at 30 feet.

The 'tip' sharks however (black, blue, silver, white..etc) and smaller blue sharks... seemed more tolerant...and some could actually still go up to you and bite you. The problem doesn't stop there... IF one of these sharks gets to bite you through your electric field, it can't seem to let go...even if it wanted to! For some reason, the electric field seems to lock the shark's jaw shut AFTER the bite... maybe it has to do with the proximity of the field or whatever... but it seems less effective on smaller sharks.

The tests were conducted in open water on a dummy diver, automated dummy diver, and a diver with a shark suit.

I think I'd rather stay OUT of the shark's way... rather than try to control it. Mother nature has her way of showing you who's really boss...and I have no intentions to try to prove her wrong.

If you really wanna dive with sharks... go for a cage, or the lexan cylinders..or better yet, the Deep Flight subs.

Back
Top Bottom